RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Do you know about the 'I did it in L a Grange' Cache?

  • Perrine Julie-ra5686
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
      Message

      I was second or third to find and my only objection to the cache would be the final location.  The LaGrange cache is not much different than our own Accidental Tourist.  You are taken from site to site to give you a quickie tour of LaGrange.  Cemetaries, historic houses, monuments, parks, etc.  One leg was inside a state park and required either a fee or a parks pass.  I don't even have a problem with it being sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce.  I think it's GREAT that they want geocachers to come to town.  As for the Chamber of Commerce swag.  Oh well.  That's not much different from most caches.  And most caches won't give you a commemorative T-Shirt, even with a sponsor!  (If you go to their website and answer questions you learned along the way, they'll send you a t-shirt.)

      But I was unhappy going onto commercial property to find the final cache.  In fact, I saw where they were pointing me and I went back to the CoC to make sure I was in the right place.  I would rather that the final cache be in a park or other public location.  If they want to put some coupons to entice people to local establishments as cache swag, then that might be the better way to do it.

      Hey Wayne, do you think you might pass some of these suggestions on to the gal?
      Julie
    • Perrine Julie-ra5686
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2005
        Message
        When I was down in the Valley a couple of weeks ago, there was a cache in a person's backyard that he had rehabilitated into a nice bird habitat.  It was open to birders regularly, and he even had special parking for them, so he was quite used to having people go through his yard.  The cache page said he accepted donations, but that geocachers wouldn't have to donate.  Well, he was standing there when we came up and he made a big point of directing us to his donation box where the suggested donation was $10!!!!!  Luckily, he was talking with other people when we left, so I didn't have to look him in the eye when I passed by his donation box.  I just felt it was unfair of the hider to put me in such a position.

        And YES, I pay to use State Parks, etc. etc. and don't feel bad about that.  I can choose to avoid any cache I want.