RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Do you know about the 'I did it in La Grange' Cache?

  • Barry Watson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      I was actually the FTF (first to find) on this cache.  It was lots of fun and when we got to the final cache and
      saw how big the container was, we got excited only to find a few cheap chamber advertising trinkets there.

      I know... it's about the sites and knowledge, not about the swag....

      But in reality, it's just an advertising gimmick for the city and perhaps the business where the final is placed
      and I thought there were rules about caches placed for commercial purposes....  at least on gc.com....

      Ok, I got a t-shirt with the name of the cache on the front for being one of the first to find, but it also
      had a business name (I think it was a bank) on the one of the sleeves (they probably donated the funds to
      have the shirts printed)

      Yes, it was fun.  Yes, I would recommend it to anyone.  But, there is a hidden agenda (I feel) behind the creation
      of the cache that is at cross purposes with the rules on GC.com.  Just know why it is there before you go....

      The message is "Come see our nice town and learn some history of La Grange (how come their was no visit to
      where the Chicken Ranch used to be?), but the feeling I'm left with is "Come spend some money in our town."
      The reason is that the cache is sponsored by the Chamber of "Commerce" and the shirt I got had a business's
      name on the sleeve and all of the swag is Chamber of Commerce advertising items for the town.

      From GC.com's web site:

      Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services.
      Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.
      Some exceptions can be made. In these rare situations, permission can be given by the Geocaching.com web site. However, permission should be asked first before posting. If you are in doubt, ask first.

      Kind of cheesy if you ask me.  No offense meant to those responsible for the placing or maintaining the cache,
      but just wanted you to know how I felt.

      But I did love seeing the sites that I was taken to and yes, it was educational, just felt it was commercial cache disguised as a educational cache.....

      Barry
      (Doc Geo)

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
        Message
        Yes, we weren't going onto the commercial property to look for the container.  We went off down to the right through the devil vines and brush only to find we were being directed back up towards the internet cafe property...

        Coupons would be immensely better than a pen or button advertising La Grange...