Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Newbie here

  • lowracer
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 1, 2005
      It's funny to see how different people use their machines to navigate.
      Some use the compass, some use the map screen...

      I know someone (who shall remain nameless) who navigated to the cache
      using the coordinates display on an old 4-channel Magellan. (you know,
      the early 1970's vintage Magellan, the kind that had a red numeric
      L.E.D. display instead of LCD, and ran for just under an hour on eight
      D-cell batteries.)

      Hold piece of paper in one hand with the coords, zig and zag around
      until the coords on the screen match the coords on the paper. Darndest
      thing I ever saw but she'd nail that cache every time.

      On Mar 1, 2005, at 8:30 AM, Barry Watson wrote:

      > Oh, you must use the compass to navigate to the cache.  I use the map
      > page to navigate....

    • jwillis44
      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 2, 2005
        Thanks all for the info! I wasn't able to find a 60 or 76CS to look
        at but did find a eTrex Legend C at a good price. By the time I
        think I might have figured out how to use it, it got dark
        yesterday. Of course we were supposedly standing on top of the
        cache but it'll make things easy to get it next time. Found another
        earlier in the day so yesterday was a success.

        I woke up to rain in the middle of the night and my first thought
        was no caching today. Looks like I'm hooked.