Gmail invites

  • mcslists@pipeline.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 4, 2005

      I have quite a number of gmail invites available if anyone is interested…Just email me at lsumonica@...

      By the way I will be in Dallas next weekend and attending the Dallas group’s boot camp for the Texas Challenge…with the right incentive I might be able to share some secrets!!! ;)  I’m just going to meet people and eat some crawfish!

      Gmail, a new web email service from Google, is now in beta and by invitation only.
      Since it has 1GB of storage, it's a handy place to house incoming pocket queries or just to keep your geocaching email out of your work accounts. Smile

      http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

      What is Gmail?

      As part of Google's mission to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful, we're testing an email service called Gmail.

      Gmail is a free, search-based webmail service that includes 1,000 megabytes (1 gigabyte) of storage. The backbone of Gmail is a powerful Google search engine that quickly finds any message an account owner has ever sent or received. That means there's no need to file messages in order to find them again.

      When Gmail displays an email, it automatically shows all the replies to that email as well, so users can view a message in the context of a conversation. There are no pop-ups or untargeted banner ads in Gmail, which places relevant text ads and links to related web pages adjacent to email messages.

      Quick Facts

      • Cost: Free
      • Storage: 1,000 megabytes
      • Languages: Only available in English during this testing period, but can be used to send and read emails in most languages
      • Access: Free automatic forwarding and POP3 access
      • Supported Browsers:
        - Microsoft IE 5.5+ (download: Windows)
        - Netscape 7.1+ (download: Windows Mac Linux)
        - Mozilla 1.4+ (download: Windows Mac Linux)
        - Mozilla Firefox 0.8+ (download: Windows Mac Linux)
        - Safari 1.2.1+ (download: Mac)
      • JavaScript and cookies must be enabled on all browsers

      Screenshots

      Frequently Asked Questions

      1. What makes Gmail different?
      2. How do I sign up? When can I get a Gmail account?
      3. What about spam?
      4. What does Gmail do to prevent viruses?
      5. Are there ads in Gmail?
      6. What about privacy?
      7. Why is Google offering email? I thought you were a search company.

      1. What makes Gmail different?

      Gmail uses Google search technology to automatically organize and find messages. And because Gmail includes 1,000 megabytes of storage, a typical user won't ever have to worry about deleting mail. Everything just gets archived so it can be found again if needed.

      There are other differences in the way Gmail provides access to your email. For example, Gmail automatically groups an email and the replies to it as a conversation. That means you always see a message in its proper context. And there are no pop-ups or banner ads in Gmail, just relevant text ads and links to related pages. Gmail's other distinctive features include a labeling system, a spam reporter and a system for filtering your mail as it comes into your inbox. Learn more.

      2. How do I sign up? When can I get a Gmail account?

      We're currently only offering Gmail as part of a preview release and limited test. We don't have details on when Gmail will be made more widely available, as that depends in part on the results of the test. If you're interested in receiving updates on Gmail, submit your email address using the form at the bottom of this page.

      3. What about spam?

      We are committed to keeping unwanted messages out of your inbox. Gmail includes a sophisticated spam filter that we're continuing to improve. The Report Spam button in Gmail is a way for users to help with this effort. It removes spam from the inbox and sends valuable data to the Gmail team working on spam blocking.

      4. What does Gmail do to prevent viruses?

      We take the security of our users very seriously. Most computer viruses are contained in executable files, but while standard virus detectors scan messages for executable files that appear to be viruses, Gmail takes this one step further by not allowing executable files to be sent or received.

      5. Are there ads in Gmail?

      Yes, but they are small and unobtrusive. They don't fill half your screen and we don't make you read them just to get to your inbox. Ads are never inserted into the body text of either incoming or outgoing Gmail messages and you won't see any pop-ups or untargeted banner ads in Gmail.

      Gmail users only see relevant text ads, similar to those on Google search results pages . The matching of ads to content is a completely automated process performed by computers. No humans read your email to target the ads, and no email content or other personally identifiable information is ever provided to advertisers.

      Ads are matched using the same technology that powers the Google AdSense program, which already places targeted ads on thousands of sites across the web by quickly analyzing the content of pages and determining which ads are most relevant to them. Here's a sneak peek of how ads look in Gmail.

      6. What about privacy?

      Google respects our users' privacy. For details, please see the Gmail Privacy Policy. Google also take several steps to guard the confidentiality of users' information by offering a number of industry-leading protections. To learn more, please visit our section on Gmail and privacy.

      7. Why is Google offering email? I thought you were a search company.

      Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally useful and accessible. For many people, email contains valuable information that can be difficult to retrieve. We believe we can help with that.

      Gmail uses Google search technology to find messages so users don't have to create folders and file their individual emails. Many of Gmail's other features also incorporate search technology to improve their effectiveness. Used this way, search enhances the efficiency of email, so we believe it's a natural area for Google to offer a service.

    • John
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2005
        Yes, I also have a bunch of invites. 50 to be exact. <.< Email me at
        dragonfire870@... to get one.