RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Caches you are missing...

  • Grajek
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

      Man we are getting some great caches over here. I am surprised.

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

        Mark,

        Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members allowed to access?  I’ll admit that I have not investigated this yet.

        Randell

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
          You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
          multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text of
          the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be in
          that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
          caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even though
          I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels and
          dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.

          A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
          site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
          blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to try
          terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
          <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
          > Mark,
          >

          > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
          allowed
          > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
          >

          > Randell
        • Anthony And Lynn
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
            Well guys,

            I looked around the TC.com site, and its seems pretty cool. I will keep my
            membership active and look around from time to time to see how its turns
            out. I see that it's a new site and improvements are being made.

            I will be sticking to GC.com for my primary source for caches, and I plan to
            go caching in Austin often. I was just wondering if you guys will completely
            stop posting new caches on GC.com, and if you guys will continue to maintain
            the caches you have already placed and posted on GC.com.

            Anthony

            <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
            > Mark,
            >

            > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
            allowed
            > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
            >

            > Randell

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • lowracer
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
              I'm totally off GC.com. I had them cancel my account. I don't place
              any new caches there. All my GC.com caches are archived and I'm in the
              process of picking them up, rescuing the travel bugs, and recycling the
              swag into new terracaches.

              -mark.

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                Not me I am out of GC.com. All my caches are archived and they refused
                to take them off the site. Not sure why, Smiley thing I am sure. If
                there is a group going out caching and they are GCers then I am still
                in. I just like to be outdoors having fun. I have just made the decision
                to direct my energies getting Terracaching.com improved and bigger.
                Texas and Austin have a lot of caches over there and there are more
                everyday. I approve at least 2 - 3 caches a day. I get notices of at
                least 1 - 2 new caches in my area a day. May take awhile but I am having
                fun again and there is no conflict so far and everyone seems more than
                willing to discuss changes and ideas and not just say "NO... The
                guidelines say.... 'Bell and Whistles', blah blah blah"

                The opened mindedness over here is unreal. I have never seen anything
                like it.

                For everyone on CG.com, Have fun above all else. Like my god fearing
                Grandmother use to tell me, "Don’t let the F%#ckers get you down..." :-)

                <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                > Mark,
                >

                > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                allowed
                > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                >

                > Randell

              • Tony Fannin
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                  Ok, I'm gonna try out tc.com. I've been very inactive lately but am
                  getting back into caching. I've got a couple ammocans full of stuff
                  waiting to be put out. Anyone wanna sponsor 'Team Bohica'?

                  Tony
                • Grajek
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                    You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                      As evidenced by the four offers I got real quick. Thanks everybody.

                      Tony

                      On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:02:19 -0600, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                      > You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                    • Essiar
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                        Interesting. I've never used GSAK. 3 days ago I downloaded some
                        tc.com caches as gpx files into my PDA and got very little info,
                        just a very small portion of the decription of the description. I
                        guess it's not ready for Cachemate yet.

                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
                        <lowracer@a...> wrote:
                        > Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite
                        > bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK.
                        Clyde
                        > is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
                        > TC.com GSAK users has warranted:
                        >
                        > Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type,
                        found/not
                        > found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
                        > logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the
                        cache
                        > placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly
                        different
                        > from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for
                        diff/terrain,
                        > and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is
                        only
                        > available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for
                        example
                        > you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
                        > small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite
                        usable in
                        > the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK
                        and
                        > your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and
                        GC.com
                        > caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.
                        >
                        > -mark.
                        >

                        > On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:
                        >

                        > > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe
                        of
                        > > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will
                        only
                        > > get a very small portion of the info
                        > >
                        > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
                        > > <miner@c...> wrote:
                        > > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                        > > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                        > > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                        > > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                        > > >
                        > > >                         - Dan
                      • Essiar
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                          If you pay will it work in Cachemate? Will you get a and be able to
                          see all the same data in Cachemate as you claim you can in GSAK?
                          <lowracer@a...> wrote:

                          > You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
                          > multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text
                          of
                          > the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be
                          in
                          > that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
                          > caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even
                          though
                          > I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels
                          and
                          > dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.
                          >
                          > A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
                          > site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
                          > blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to
                          try
                          > terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)
                          >
                          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
                          > <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                          > > Mark,
                          > >

                          > > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic
                          members
                          > allowed
                          > > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                          > >

                          > > Randell
                        • lowracer
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                            Yes.