Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Caches you are missing...

  • lowracer
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
      Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite a
      bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK. Clyde
      is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
      TC.com GSAK users has warranted:

      Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type, found/not
      found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
      logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the cache
      placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly different
      from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for diff/terrain,
      and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is only
      available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for example
      you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
      small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite usable in
      the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK and
      your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and GC.com
      caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.

      -mark.

      On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:

      > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe of
      > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will only
      > get a very small portion of the info
      >
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
      > <miner@c...> wrote:
      > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
      > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
      > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
      > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
      > >
      > >                         - Dan
    • Grajek
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

        Man we are getting some great caches over here. I am surprised.

        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

          Mark,

          Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members allowed to access?  I’ll admit that I have not investigated this yet.

          Randell

          <miner@c...> wrote:
          > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
          > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
          > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
          > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
          >
          >                         - Dan

        • Lowracer
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
            You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
            multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text of
            the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be in
            that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
            caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even though
            I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels and
            dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.

            A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
            site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
            blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to try
            terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)

            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
            <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
            > Mark,
            >

            > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
            allowed
            > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
            >

            > Randell
          • Anthony And Lynn
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
              Well guys,

              I looked around the TC.com site, and its seems pretty cool. I will keep my
              membership active and look around from time to time to see how its turns
              out. I see that it's a new site and improvements are being made.

              I will be sticking to GC.com for my primary source for caches, and I plan to
              go caching in Austin often. I was just wondering if you guys will completely
              stop posting new caches on GC.com, and if you guys will continue to maintain
              the caches you have already placed and posted on GC.com.

              Anthony

              <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
              > Mark,
              >

              > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
              allowed
              > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
              >

              > Randell

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • lowracer
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                I'm totally off GC.com. I had them cancel my account. I don't place
                any new caches there. All my GC.com caches are archived and I'm in the
                process of picking them up, rescuing the travel bugs, and recycling the
                swag into new terracaches.

                -mark.

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                  Not me I am out of GC.com. All my caches are archived and they refused
                  to take them off the site. Not sure why, Smiley thing I am sure. If
                  there is a group going out caching and they are GCers then I am still
                  in. I just like to be outdoors having fun. I have just made the decision
                  to direct my energies getting Terracaching.com improved and bigger.
                  Texas and Austin have a lot of caches over there and there are more
                  everyday. I approve at least 2 - 3 caches a day. I get notices of at
                  least 1 - 2 new caches in my area a day. May take awhile but I am having
                  fun again and there is no conflict so far and everyone seems more than
                  willing to discuss changes and ideas and not just say "NO... The
                  guidelines say.... 'Bell and Whistles', blah blah blah"

                  The opened mindedness over here is unreal. I have never seen anything
                  like it.

                  For everyone on CG.com, Have fun above all else. Like my god fearing
                  Grandmother use to tell me, "Don’t let the F%#ckers get you down..." :-)

                  <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                  > Mark,
                  >

                  > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                  allowed
                  > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                  >

                  > Randell

                • Tony Fannin
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                    Ok, I'm gonna try out tc.com. I've been very inactive lately but am
                    getting back into caching. I've got a couple ammocans full of stuff
                    waiting to be put out. Anyone wanna sponsor 'Team Bohica'?

                    Tony
                  • Grajek
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                      You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                        As evidenced by the four offers I got real quick. Thanks everybody.

                        Tony

                        On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:02:19 -0600, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                        > You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                      • Essiar
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                          Interesting. I've never used GSAK. 3 days ago I downloaded some
                          tc.com caches as gpx files into my PDA and got very little info,
                          just a very small portion of the decription of the description. I
                          guess it's not ready for Cachemate yet.

                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
                          <lowracer@a...> wrote:
                          > Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite
                          > bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK.
                          Clyde
                          > is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
                          > TC.com GSAK users has warranted:
                          >
                          > Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type,
                          found/not
                          > found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
                          > logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the
                          cache
                          > placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly
                          different
                          > from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for
                          diff/terrain,
                          > and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is
                          only
                          > available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for
                          example
                          > you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
                          > small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite
                          usable in
                          > the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK
                          and
                          > your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and
                          GC.com
                          > caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.
                          >
                          > -mark.
                          >

                          > On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:
                          >

                          > > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe
                          of
                          > > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will
                          only
                          > > get a very small portion of the info
                          > >
                          > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
                          > > <miner@c...> wrote:
                          > > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                          > > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                          > > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                          > > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                          > > >
                          > > >                         - Dan
                        • Essiar
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                            If you pay will it work in Cachemate? Will you get a and be able to
                            see all the same data in Cachemate as you claim you can in GSAK?
                            <lowracer@a...> wrote:

                            > You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
                            > multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text
                            of
                            > the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be
                            in
                            > that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
                            > caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even
                            though
                            > I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels
                            and
                            > dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.
                            >
                            > A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
                            > site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
                            > blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to
                            try
                            > terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)
                            >
                            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
                            > <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                            > > Mark,
                            > >

                            > > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic
                            members
                            > allowed
                            > > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                            > >

                            > > Randell
                          • lowracer
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                              Yes.