Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Caches you are missing...

  • lowracer
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
      Past tense.

      On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Anthony And Lynn wrote:

      > Does this mean you guys are leaving GC.com?   Just wondering.......
      >
      > Anthony
    • Essiar
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
        Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe of
        GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will only
        get a very small portion of the info

        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
        <miner@c...> wrote:
        > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
        > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
        > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
        > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
        >
        > - Dan

        Night
        > > caches, puzzles, challenging hikes. You won't find these caches
        on
        > > geocaching.com so if you're in it for the thrill of the hunt,
        c'mon
        > > over.
      • lowracer
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
          Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite a
          bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK. Clyde
          is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
          TC.com GSAK users has warranted:

          Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type, found/not
          found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
          logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the cache
          placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly different
          from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for diff/terrain,
          and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is only
          available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for example
          you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
          small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite usable in
          the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK and
          your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and GC.com
          caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.

          -mark.

          On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:

          > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe of
          > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will only
          > get a very small portion of the info
          >
          > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
          > <miner@c...> wrote:
          > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
          > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
          > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
          > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
          > >
          > >                         - Dan
        • Grajek
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

            Man we are getting some great caches over here. I am surprised.

            On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Anthony And Lynn wrote:

            Does this mean you guys are leaving GC.com?   Just wondering.......

            Anthony

          • Randell Pitts
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

              Mark,

              Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members allowed to access?  I’ll admit that I have not investigated this yet.

              Randell

              <miner@c...> wrote:
              > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
              > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
              > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
              > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
              >
              >                         - Dan

            • Lowracer
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
                multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text of
                the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be in
                that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
                caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even though
                I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels and
                dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.

                A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
                site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
                blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to try
                terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)

                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
                <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                > Mark,
                >

                > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                allowed
                > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                >

                > Randell
              • Anthony And Lynn
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                  Well guys,

                  I looked around the TC.com site, and its seems pretty cool. I will keep my
                  membership active and look around from time to time to see how its turns
                  out. I see that it's a new site and improvements are being made.

                  I will be sticking to GC.com for my primary source for caches, and I plan to
                  go caching in Austin often. I was just wondering if you guys will completely
                  stop posting new caches on GC.com, and if you guys will continue to maintain
                  the caches you have already placed and posted on GC.com.

                  Anthony

                  <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                  > Mark,
                  >

                  > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                  allowed
                  > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                  >

                  > Randell

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • lowracer
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                    I'm totally off GC.com. I had them cancel my account. I don't place
                    any new caches there. All my GC.com caches are archived and I'm in the
                    process of picking them up, rescuing the travel bugs, and recycling the
                    swag into new terracaches.

                    -mark.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                      Not me I am out of GC.com. All my caches are archived and they refused
                      to take them off the site. Not sure why, Smiley thing I am sure. If
                      there is a group going out caching and they are GCers then I am still
                      in. I just like to be outdoors having fun. I have just made the decision
                      to direct my energies getting Terracaching.com improved and bigger.
                      Texas and Austin have a lot of caches over there and there are more
                      everyday. I approve at least 2 - 3 caches a day. I get notices of at
                      least 1 - 2 new caches in my area a day. May take awhile but I am having
                      fun again and there is no conflict so far and everyone seems more than
                      willing to discuss changes and ideas and not just say "NO... The
                      guidelines say.... 'Bell and Whistles', blah blah blah"

                      The opened mindedness over here is unreal. I have never seen anything
                      like it.

                      For everyone on CG.com, Have fun above all else. Like my god fearing
                      Grandmother use to tell me, "Don’t let the F%#ckers get you down..." :-)

                      <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                      > Mark,
                      >

                      > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                      allowed
                      > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                      >

                      > Randell

                    • Tony Fannin
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                        Ok, I'm gonna try out tc.com. I've been very inactive lately but am
                        getting back into caching. I've got a couple ammocans full of stuff
                        waiting to be put out. Anyone wanna sponsor 'Team Bohica'?

                        Tony
                      • Grajek

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                            As evidenced by the four offers I got real quick. Thanks everybody.

                            Tony

                            On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:02:19 -0600, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                            > You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                          • Essiar
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                              Interesting. I've never used GSAK. 3 days ago I downloaded some
                              tc.com caches as gpx files into my PDA and got very little info,
                              just a very small portion of the decription of the description. I
                              guess it's not ready for Cachemate yet.

                              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
                              <lowracer@a...> wrote:
                              > Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite
                              > bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK.
                              Clyde
                              > is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
                              > TC.com GSAK users has warranted:
                              >
                              > Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type,
                              found/not
                              > found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
                              > logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the
                              cache
                              > placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly
                              different
                              > from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for
                              diff/terrain,
                              > and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is
                              only
                              > available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for
                              example
                              > you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
                              > small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite
                              usable in
                              > the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK
                              and
                              > your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and
                              GC.com
                              > caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.
                              >
                              > -mark.
                              >

                              > On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:
                              >

                              > > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe
                              of
                              > > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will
                              only
                              > > get a very small portion of the info
                              > >
                              > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
                              > > <miner@c...> wrote:
                              > > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                              > > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                              > > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                              > > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                              > > >
                              > > >                         - Dan
                            • Essiar
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                If you pay will it work in Cachemate? Will you get a and be able to
                                see all the same data in Cachemate as you claim you can in GSAK?
                                <lowracer@a...> wrote:

                                > You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
                                > multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text
                                of
                                > the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be
                                in
                                > that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
                                > caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even
                                though
                                > I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels
                                and
                                > dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.
                                >
                                > A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
                                > site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
                                > blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to
                                try
                                > terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)
                                >
                                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
                                > <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                                > > Mark,
                                > >

                                > > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic
                                members
                                > allowed
                                > > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                                > >

                                > > Randell
                              • lowracer
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                  Yes.