Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Caches you are missing...

  • Roger Banks
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
      yes

      --
      ¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è,,¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è,,¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è,,¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è
      Roger Banks Applied Research Laboratories
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
        Past tense.

        On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Anthony And Lynn wrote:

        > Does this mean you guys are leaving GC.com?   Just wondering.......
        >
        > Anthony
      • Essiar
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
          Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe of
          GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will only
          get a very small portion of the info

          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner

        • lowracer
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
            Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite a
            bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK. Clyde
            is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
            TC.com GSAK users has warranted:

            Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type, found/not
            found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
            logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the cache
            placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly different
            from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for diff/terrain,
            and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is only
            available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for example
            you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
            small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite usable in
            the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK and
            your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and GC.com
            caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.

            -mark.

            On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:

            > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe of
            > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will only
            > get a very small portion of the info
            >
            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
            > <miner@c...> wrote:
            > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
            > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
            > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
            > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
            > >
            > >                         - Dan
          • Grajek
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

              Man we are getting some great caches over here. I am surprised.

              On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Anthony And Lynn wrote:

              Does this mean you guys are leaving GC.com?   Just wondering.......

              Anthony

            • Randell Pitts
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

                Mark,

                Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members allowed to access?  I’ll admit that I have not investigated this yet.

                Randell

                <miner@c...> wrote:
                > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                >
                >                         - Dan

              • Lowracer
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                  You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
                  multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text of
                  the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be in
                  that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
                  caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even though
                  I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels and
                  dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.

                  A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
                  site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
                  blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to try
                  terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)

                  --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
                  <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                  > Mark,
                  >

                  > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                  allowed
                  > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                  >

                  > Randell
                • Anthony And Lynn
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                    Well guys,

                    I looked around the TC.com site, and its seems pretty cool. I will keep my
                    membership active and look around from time to time to see how its turns
                    out. I see that it's a new site and improvements are being made.

                    I will be sticking to GC.com for my primary source for caches, and I plan to
                    go caching in Austin often. I was just wondering if you guys will completely
                    stop posting new caches on GC.com, and if you guys will continue to maintain
                    the caches you have already placed and posted on GC.com.

                    Anthony

                    <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                    > Mark,
                    >

                    > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                    allowed
                    > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                    >

                    > Randell

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • lowracer
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                      I'm totally off GC.com. I had them cancel my account. I don't place
                      any new caches there. All my GC.com caches are archived and I'm in the
                      process of picking them up, rescuing the travel bugs, and recycling the
                      swag into new terracaches.

                      -mark.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                        Not me I am out of GC.com. All my caches are archived and they refused
                        to take them off the site. Not sure why, Smiley thing I am sure. If
                        there is a group going out caching and they are GCers then I am still
                        in. I just like to be outdoors having fun. I have just made the decision
                        to direct my energies getting Terracaching.com improved and bigger.
                        Texas and Austin have a lot of caches over there and there are more
                        everyday. I approve at least 2 - 3 caches a day. I get notices of at
                        least 1 - 2 new caches in my area a day. May take awhile but I am having
                        fun again and there is no conflict so far and everyone seems more than
                        willing to discuss changes and ideas and not just say "NO... The
                        guidelines say.... 'Bell and Whistles', blah blah blah"

                        The opened mindedness over here is unreal. I have never seen anything
                        like it.

                        For everyone on CG.com, Have fun above all else. Like my god fearing
                        Grandmother use to tell me, "Don’t let the F%#ckers get you down..." :-)

                        <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                        > Mark,
                        >

                        > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                        allowed
                        > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                        >

                        > Randell

                      • Tony Fannin
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                          Ok, I'm gonna try out tc.com. I've been very inactive lately but am
                          getting back into caching. I've got a couple ammocans full of stuff
                          waiting to be put out. Anyone wanna sponsor 'Team Bohica'?

                          Tony
                        • Grajek
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                            You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                              As evidenced by the four offers I got real quick. Thanks everybody.

                              Tony

                              On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:02:19 -0600, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                              > You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                            • Essiar
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                Interesting. I've never used GSAK. 3 days ago I downloaded some
                                tc.com caches as gpx files into my PDA and got very little info,
                                just a very small portion of the decription of the description. I
                                guess it's not ready for Cachemate yet.

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
                                <lowracer@a...> wrote:
                                > Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite
                                > bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK.
                                Clyde
                                > is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
                                > TC.com GSAK users has warranted:
                                >
                                > Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type,
                                found/not
                                > found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
                                > logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the
                                cache
                                > placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly
                                different
                                > from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for
                                diff/terrain,
                                > and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is
                                only
                                > available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for
                                example
                                > you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
                                > small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite
                                usable in
                                > the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK
                                and
                                > your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and
                                GC.com
                                > caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.
                                >
                                > -mark.
                                >

                                > On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:
                                >

                                > > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe
                                of
                                > > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will
                                only
                                > > get a very small portion of the info
                                > >
                                > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
                                > > <miner@c...> wrote:
                                > > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                                > > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                                > > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                                > > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                                > > >
                                > > >                         - Dan
                              • Essiar
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                  If you pay will it work in Cachemate? Will you get a and be able to
                                  see all the same data in Cachemate as you claim you can in GSAK?
                                  <lowracer@a...> wrote:

                                  > You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
                                  > multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text
                                  of
                                  > the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be
                                  in
                                  > that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
                                  > caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even
                                  though
                                  > I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels
                                  and
                                  > dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.
                                  >
                                  > A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
                                  > site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
                                  > blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to
                                  try
                                  > terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)
                                  >
                                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
                                  > <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                                  > > Mark,
                                  > >

                                  > > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic
                                  members
                                  > allowed
                                  > > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                                  > >

                                  > > Randell
                                • lowracer
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                    Yes.