RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Caches you are missing...

  • Anthony And Lynn
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
      Does this mean you guys are leaving GC.com? Just wondering.......

      Anthony

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
        Yes. And if you use GSAK, it now correctly imports the GPX file you
        get from tc.com. So you can mix TC's and GCs in the same GPS unit.
        Very civilized.

        On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:07 PM, Dan Miner wrote:

        > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
        > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
        > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
        > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
      • Roger Banks
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
          yes

          --
          ¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è,,¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è,,¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è,,¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è
          Roger Banks Applied Research Laboratories
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
            Past tense.

            On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Anthony And Lynn wrote:

            > Does this mean you guys are leaving GC.com?   Just wondering.......
            >
            > Anthony
          • Essiar
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
              Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe of
              GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will only
              get a very small portion of the info

              --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner

            • lowracer
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite a
                bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK. Clyde
                is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
                TC.com GSAK users has warranted:

                Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type, found/not
                found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
                logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the cache
                placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly different
                from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for diff/terrain,
                and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is only
                available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for example
                you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
                small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite usable in
                the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK and
                your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and GC.com
                caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.

                -mark.

                On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:

                > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe of
                > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will only
                > get a very small portion of the info
                >
                > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
                > <miner@c...> wrote:
                > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                > >
                > >                         - Dan
              • Grajek
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

                  Man we are getting some great caches over here. I am surprised.

                  On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Anthony And Lynn wrote:

                  Does this mean you guys are leaving GC.com?   Just wondering.......

                  Anthony

                • Randell Pitts
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

                    Mark,

                    Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members allowed to access?  I’ll admit that I have not investigated this yet.

                    Randell

                    <miner@c...> wrote:
                    > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                    > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                    > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                    > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                    >
                    >                         - Dan

                  • Lowracer
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                      You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
                      multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text of
                      the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be in
                      that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
                      caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even though
                      I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels and
                      dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.

                      A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
                      site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
                      blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to try
                      terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)

                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
                      <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                      > Mark,
                      >

                      > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                      allowed
                      > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                      >

                      > Randell
                    • Anthony And Lynn
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                        Well guys,

                        I looked around the TC.com site, and its seems pretty cool. I will keep my
                        membership active and look around from time to time to see how its turns
                        out. I see that it's a new site and improvements are being made.

                        I will be sticking to GC.com for my primary source for caches, and I plan to
                        go caching in Austin often. I was just wondering if you guys will completely
                        stop posting new caches on GC.com, and if you guys will continue to maintain
                        the caches you have already placed and posted on GC.com.

                        Anthony

                        <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                        > Mark,
                        >

                        > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                        allowed
                        > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                        >

                        > Randell

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • lowracer
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                          I'm totally off GC.com. I had them cancel my account. I don't place
                          any new caches there. All my GC.com caches are archived and I'm in the
                          process of picking them up, rescuing the travel bugs, and recycling the
                          swag into new terracaches.

                          -mark.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                            Not me I am out of GC.com. All my caches are archived and they refused
                            to take them off the site. Not sure why, Smiley thing I am sure. If
                            there is a group going out caching and they are GCers then I am still
                            in. I just like to be outdoors having fun. I have just made the decision
                            to direct my energies getting Terracaching.com improved and bigger.
                            Texas and Austin have a lot of caches over there and there are more
                            everyday. I approve at least 2 - 3 caches a day. I get notices of at
                            least 1 - 2 new caches in my area a day. May take awhile but I am having
                            fun again and there is no conflict so far and everyone seems more than
                            willing to discuss changes and ideas and not just say "NO... The
                            guidelines say.... 'Bell and Whistles', blah blah blah"

                            The opened mindedness over here is unreal. I have never seen anything
                            like it.

                            For everyone on CG.com, Have fun above all else. Like my god fearing
                            Grandmother use to tell me, "Don’t let the F%#ckers get you down..." :-)

                            <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                            > Mark,
                            >

                            > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                            allowed
                            > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                            >

                            > Randell

                          • Tony Fannin
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                              Ok, I'm gonna try out tc.com. I've been very inactive lately but am
                              getting back into caching. I've got a couple ammocans full of stuff
                              waiting to be put out. Anyone wanna sponsor 'Team Bohica'?

                              Tony
                            • Grajek
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                  As evidenced by the four offers I got real quick. Thanks everybody.

                                  Tony

                                  On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:02:19 -0600, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                                  > You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                                • Essiar
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                    Interesting. I've never used GSAK. 3 days ago I downloaded some
                                    tc.com caches as gpx files into my PDA and got very little info,
                                    just a very small portion of the decription of the description. I
                                    guess it's not ready for Cachemate yet.

                                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
                                    <lowracer@a...> wrote:
                                    > Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite
                                    > bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK.
                                    Clyde
                                    > is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
                                    > TC.com GSAK users has warranted:
                                    >
                                    > Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type,
                                    found/not
                                    > found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
                                    > logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the
                                    cache
                                    > placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly
                                    different
                                    > from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for
                                    diff/terrain,
                                    > and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is
                                    only
                                    > available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for
                                    example
                                    > you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
                                    > small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite
                                    usable in
                                    > the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK
                                    and
                                    > your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and
                                    GC.com
                                    > caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.
                                    >
                                    > -mark.
                                    >

                                    > On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:
                                    >

                                    > > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe
                                    of
                                    > > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will
                                    only
                                    > > get a very small portion of the info
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
                                    > > <miner@c...> wrote:
                                    > > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                                    > > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                                    > > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                                    > > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                                    > > >
                                    > > >                         - Dan
                                  • Essiar
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                      If you pay will it work in Cachemate? Will you get a and be able to
                                      see all the same data in Cachemate as you claim you can in GSAK?
                                      <lowracer@a...> wrote:

                                      > You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
                                      > multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text
                                      of
                                      > the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be
                                      in
                                      > that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
                                      > caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even
                                      though
                                      > I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels
                                      and
                                      > dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.
                                      >
                                      > A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
                                      > site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
                                      > blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to
                                      try
                                      > terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)
                                      >
                                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
                                      > <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                                      > > Mark,
                                      > >

                                      > > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic
                                      members
                                      > allowed
                                      > > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                                      > >

                                      > > Randell
                                    • lowracer
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                        Yes.