RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] ACS#1

  • Randell Pitts
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 2, 2005

      Ok now, you can’t throw THAT out there without telling the story…

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 2, 2005
        here's my post from Jan 10, 04
        "Well...#1 and #2 done. Only a jillion to go! Very fun. We got #1
        pretty quickly. On #2 Cathy B. and I made the mistake of bushwacking up
        the cliffside. There were a couple of times I thought I was going to
        die. PHEW! Ah but, the sweet smell of success...path right to the cache
        once we got to the top. I don't know how you do that one easily but I
        wouldn't recommend our method that's for sure."

        Wayne told me the secret way. BUT..even better, Lou showed up and
        SHOWED ME!!!! You are so going to wish you knew when you need to find
        #2.
        :-) Shelly

        On Jan 2, 2005, at 6:44 PM, Michele Pain wrote:

        > Hmmmm....well unlike you sluggards, I know know how to get to #2
        > without facing death.
        >

        > On Jan 2, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Randell Pitts wrote:
        >
        >> Ok, so how far did y'all get?
        >>
        >> Tell me
        >>
        >> Tell me
        >>
        >> Tell me
        >>
        >> Tell me

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links
        >>
        >> • To visit your group on the web, go to:
        >>
        >> • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        >>
        >> • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        >> Service.

      • Dan Miner
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
          On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
          waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
          Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
          from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?

          - Dan

        • Anthony And Lynn
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
            Does this mean you guys are leaving GC.com? Just wondering.......

            Anthony

            On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache waypoints to a GPSr
            like there is on the other cache site?
            Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles from a specific spot
            downloaded to a GPSr?

            - Dan

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • lowracer
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
              Yes. And if you use GSAK, it now correctly imports the GPX file you
              get from tc.com. So you can mix TC's and GCs in the same GPS unit.
              Very civilized.

              On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:07 PM, Dan Miner wrote:

              > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
              > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
              > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
              > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
            • Roger Banks
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                yes

                --
                ¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è,,¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è,,¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è,,¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è
                Roger Banks Applied Research Laboratories
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                  Past tense.

                  On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Anthony And Lynn wrote:

                  > Does this mean you guys are leaving GC.com?   Just wondering.......
                  >
                  > Anthony
                • Essiar
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                    Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe of
                    GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will only
                    get a very small portion of the info

                    --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner

                  • lowracer
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                      Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite a
                      bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK. Clyde
                      is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
                      TC.com GSAK users has warranted:

                      Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type, found/not
                      found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
                      logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the cache
                      placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly different
                      from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for diff/terrain,
                      and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is only
                      available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for example
                      you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
                      small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite usable in
                      the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK and
                      your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and GC.com
                      caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.

                      -mark.

                      On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:

                      > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe of
                      > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will only
                      > get a very small portion of the info
                      >
                      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
                      > <miner@c...> wrote:
                      > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                      > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                      > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                      > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                      > >
                      > >                         - Dan
                    • Grajek
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

                        Man we are getting some great caches over here. I am surprised.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

                          Mark,

                          Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members allowed to access?  I’ll admit that I have not investigated this yet.

                          Randell

                          <miner@c...> wrote:
                          > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                          > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                          > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                          > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                          >
                          >                         - Dan

                        • Lowracer
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                            You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
                            multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text of
                            the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be in
                            that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
                            caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even though
                            I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels and
                            dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.

                            A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
                            site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
                            blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to try
                            terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)

                            --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
                            <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                            > Mark,
                            >

                            > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                            allowed
                            > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                            >

                            > Randell
                          • Anthony And Lynn
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                              Well guys,

                              I looked around the TC.com site, and its seems pretty cool. I will keep my
                              membership active and look around from time to time to see how its turns
                              out. I see that it's a new site and improvements are being made.

                              I will be sticking to GC.com for my primary source for caches, and I plan to
                              go caching in Austin often. I was just wondering if you guys will completely
                              stop posting new caches on GC.com, and if you guys will continue to maintain
                              the caches you have already placed and posted on GC.com.

                              Anthony

                              <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                              > Mark,
                              >

                              > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                              allowed
                              > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                              >

                              > Randell

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • lowracer
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                                I'm totally off GC.com. I had them cancel my account. I don't place
                                any new caches there. All my GC.com caches are archived and I'm in the
                                process of picking them up, rescuing the travel bugs, and recycling the
                                swag into new terracaches.

                                -mark.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                                  Not me I am out of GC.com. All my caches are archived and they refused
                                  to take them off the site. Not sure why, Smiley thing I am sure. If
                                  there is a group going out caching and they are GCers then I am still
                                  in. I just like to be outdoors having fun. I have just made the decision
                                  to direct my energies getting Terracaching.com improved and bigger.
                                  Texas and Austin have a lot of caches over there and there are more
                                  everyday. I approve at least 2 - 3 caches a day. I get notices of at
                                  least 1 - 2 new caches in my area a day. May take awhile but I am having
                                  fun again and there is no conflict so far and everyone seems more than
                                  willing to discuss changes and ideas and not just say "NO... The
                                  guidelines say.... 'Bell and Whistles', blah blah blah"

                                  The opened mindedness over here is unreal. I have never seen anything
                                  like it.

                                  For everyone on CG.com, Have fun above all else. Like my god fearing
                                  Grandmother use to tell me, "Don’t let the F%#ckers get you down..." :-)

                                  <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                                  > Mark,
                                  >

                                  > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                                  allowed
                                  > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                                  >

                                  > Randell

                                • Tony Fannin
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                    Ok, I'm gonna try out tc.com. I've been very inactive lately but am
                                    getting back into caching. I've got a couple ammocans full of stuff
                                    waiting to be put out. Anyone wanna sponsor 'Team Bohica'?

                                    Tony
                                  • Grajek
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                      You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                        As evidenced by the four offers I got real quick. Thanks everybody.

                                        Tony

                                        On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:02:19 -0600, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                                        > You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                                      • Essiar
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                          Interesting. I've never used GSAK. 3 days ago I downloaded some
                                          tc.com caches as gpx files into my PDA and got very little info,
                                          just a very small portion of the decription of the description. I
                                          guess it's not ready for Cachemate yet.

                                          --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
                                          <lowracer@a...> wrote:
                                          > Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite
                                          > bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK.
                                          Clyde
                                          > is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
                                          > TC.com GSAK users has warranted:
                                          >
                                          > Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type,
                                          found/not
                                          > found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
                                          > logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the
                                          cache
                                          > placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly
                                          different
                                          > from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for
                                          diff/terrain,
                                          > and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is
                                          only
                                          > available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for
                                          example
                                          > you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
                                          > small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite
                                          usable in
                                          > the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK
                                          and
                                          > your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and
                                          GC.com
                                          > caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.
                                          >
                                          > -mark.
                                          >

                                          > On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:
                                          >

                                          > > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe
                                          of
                                          > > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will
                                          only
                                          > > get a very small portion of the info
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
                                          > > <miner@c...> wrote:
                                          > > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                                          > > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                                          > > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                                          > > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                                          > > >
                                          > > >                         - Dan
                                        • Essiar
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                            If you pay will it work in Cachemate? Will you get a and be able to
                                            see all the same data in Cachemate as you claim you can in GSAK?
                                            <lowracer@a...> wrote:

                                            > You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
                                            > multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text
                                            of
                                            > the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be
                                            in
                                            > that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
                                            > caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even
                                            though
                                            > I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels
                                            and
                                            > dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.
                                            >
                                            > A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
                                            > site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
                                            > blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to
                                            try
                                            > terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)
                                            >
                                            > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
                                            > <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                                            > > Mark,
                                            > >

                                            > > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic
                                            members
                                            > allowed
                                            > > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                                            > >

                                            > > Randell
                                          • lowracer
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                              Yes.