Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Caches you are missing...

  • Alex Alexander
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 2, 2005
      Who runs terracaching.com? I can't find any contact us links or details on
      the site or the forums.

      Alex.

      At 11:53 02/01/2005, you wrote:
      >Texas now leads Terracaching.com with 46 total caches. If you're not
      >on terracaching.com yet, what are you waiting for? 532 registered
      >members as of this morning. You won't find most of these caches
      >anywhere else, and we're just getting started:
    • lowracer
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 2, 2005
        Terracaching LLC. The head honcho's name is AngryKid (formerly
        SkyDiver on gc.com).

        On Jan 2, 2005, at 7:30 AM, Alex Alexander wrote:

        > Who runs terracaching.com?  I can't find any contact us links or
        > details on
        > the site or the forums.
      • lowracer
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 2, 2005
          This contact info was on the site terms of use link:

          Jonathan Motta
          TerraCaching, LLC.
          P.O. Box 16351
          Missoula, MT 59808

          On Jan 2, 2005, at 7:30 AM, Alex Alexander wrote:

          > Who runs terracaching.com?  I can't find any contact us links or
          > details on
          > the site or the forums.
          >
          > Alex.
          >
          > At 11:53 02/01/2005, you wrote:
          > >Texas now leads Terracaching.com with 46 total caches.  If you're not
          > >on terracaching.com yet, what are you waiting for?  532 registered
          > >members as of this morning.  You won't find most of these caches
          > >anywhere else, and we're just getting started:
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > <121504_y1204_b_300250a.gif>
          > <l.gif>

          > Service.

        • Grajek
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 2, 2005
            Not Jeremy. That’s all you need to know :-)

            At 11:53 02/01/2005, you wrote:
            >Texas now leads Terracaching.com with 46 total caches. If you're not
            >on terracaching.com yet, what are you waiting for? 532 registered
            >members as of this morning. You won't find most of these caches
            >anywhere else, and we're just getting started:

          • Randell Pitts
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 2, 2005
              Ok, so how far did y'all get?

              Tell me

              Tell me

              Tell me

              Tell me

            • Michele Pain
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 2, 2005
                Hmmmm....well unlike you sluggards, I know know how to get to #2
                without facing death.

                On Jan 2, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Randell Pitts wrote:

                > Ok, so how far did y'all get?
                >
                > Tell me
                >
                > Tell me
                >
                > Tell me
                >
                > Tell me

                > Service.

              • Randell Pitts
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 2, 2005

                  Ok now, you can’t throw THAT out there without telling the story…

                  Hmmmm....well unlike you sluggards, I know know how to get to #2 without facing death.

                  On Jan 2, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Randell Pitts wrote:

                  Ok, so how far did y'all get?

                  Tell me

                  Tell me

                  Tell me

                  Tell me

                  • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service .

                • Michele Pain
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 2, 2005
                    here's my post from Jan 10, 04
                    "Well...#1 and #2 done. Only a jillion to go! Very fun. We got #1
                    pretty quickly. On #2 Cathy B. and I made the mistake of bushwacking up
                    the cliffside. There were a couple of times I thought I was going to
                    die. PHEW! Ah but, the sweet smell of success...path right to the cache
                    once we got to the top. I don't know how you do that one easily but I
                    wouldn't recommend our method that's for sure."

                    Wayne told me the secret way. BUT..even better, Lou showed up and
                    SHOWED ME!!!! You are so going to wish you knew when you need to find
                    #2.
                    :-) Shelly

                    On Jan 2, 2005, at 6:44 PM, Michele Pain wrote:

                    > Hmmmm....well unlike you sluggards, I know know how to get to #2
                    > without facing death.
                    >

                    > On Jan 2, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Randell Pitts wrote:
                    >
                    >> Ok, so how far did y'all get?
                    >>
                    >> Tell me
                    >>
                    >> Tell me
                    >>
                    >> Tell me
                    >>
                    >> Tell me

                    >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >>
                    >> • To visit your group on the web, go to:
                    >>
                    >> • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                    >>
                    >> • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                    >> Service.

                  • Dan Miner
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                      On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                      waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                      Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                      from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?

                      - Dan

                    • Anthony And Lynn
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                        Does this mean you guys are leaving GC.com? Just wondering.......

                        Anthony

                        On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache waypoints to a GPSr
                        like there is on the other cache site?
                        Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles from a specific spot
                        downloaded to a GPSr?

                        - Dan

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • lowracer
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                          Yes. And if you use GSAK, it now correctly imports the GPX file you
                          get from tc.com. So you can mix TC's and GCs in the same GPS unit.
                          Very civilized.

                          On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:07 PM, Dan Miner wrote:

                          > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                          > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                          > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                          > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                        • Roger Banks
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                            yes

                            --
                            ¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è,,¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è,,¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è,,¡è¡ã`¡ã¡è
                            Roger Banks Applied Research Laboratories
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                              Past tense.

                              On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Anthony And Lynn wrote:

                              > Does this mean you guys are leaving GC.com?   Just wondering.......
                              >
                              > Anthony
                            • Essiar
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                                Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe of
                                GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will only
                                get a very small portion of the info

                                --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner

                              • lowracer
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                                  Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite a
                                  bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK. Clyde
                                  is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
                                  TC.com GSAK users has warranted:

                                  Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type, found/not
                                  found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
                                  logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the cache
                                  placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly different
                                  from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for diff/terrain,
                                  and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is only
                                  available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for example
                                  you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
                                  small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite usable in
                                  the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK and
                                  your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and GC.com
                                  caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.

                                  -mark.

                                  On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:

                                  > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe of
                                  > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will only
                                  > get a very small portion of the info
                                  >
                                  > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
                                  > <miner@c...> wrote:
                                  > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                                  > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                                  > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                                  > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                                  > >
                                  > >                         - Dan
                                • Grajek
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

                                    Man we are getting some great caches over here. I am surprised.

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005

                                      Mark,

                                      Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members allowed to access?  I’ll admit that I have not investigated this yet.

                                      Randell

                                      <miner@c...> wrote:
                                      > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                                      > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                                      > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                                      > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                                      >
                                      >                         - Dan

                                    • Lowracer
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                                        You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
                                        multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text of
                                        the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be in
                                        that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
                                        caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even though
                                        I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels and
                                        dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.

                                        A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
                                        site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
                                        blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to try
                                        terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)

                                        --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
                                        <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                                        > Mark,
                                        >

                                        > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                                        allowed
                                        > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                                        >

                                        > Randell
                                      • Anthony And Lynn
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                                          Well guys,

                                          I looked around the TC.com site, and its seems pretty cool. I will keep my
                                          membership active and look around from time to time to see how its turns
                                          out. I see that it's a new site and improvements are being made.

                                          I will be sticking to GC.com for my primary source for caches, and I plan to
                                          go caching in Austin often. I was just wondering if you guys will completely
                                          stop posting new caches on GC.com, and if you guys will continue to maintain
                                          the caches you have already placed and posted on GC.com.

                                          Anthony

                                          <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                                          > Mark,
                                          >

                                          > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                                          allowed
                                          > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                                          >

                                          > Randell

                                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                                        • lowracer
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                                            I'm totally off GC.com. I had them cancel my account. I don't place
                                            any new caches there. All my GC.com caches are archived and I'm in the
                                            process of picking them up, rescuing the travel bugs, and recycling the
                                            swag into new terracaches.

                                            -mark.

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                                              Not me I am out of GC.com. All my caches are archived and they refused
                                              to take them off the site. Not sure why, Smiley thing I am sure. If
                                              there is a group going out caching and they are GCers then I am still
                                              in. I just like to be outdoors having fun. I have just made the decision
                                              to direct my energies getting Terracaching.com improved and bigger.
                                              Texas and Austin have a lot of caches over there and there are more
                                              everyday. I approve at least 2 - 3 caches a day. I get notices of at
                                              least 1 - 2 new caches in my area a day. May take awhile but I am having
                                              fun again and there is no conflict so far and everyone seems more than
                                              willing to discuss changes and ideas and not just say "NO... The
                                              guidelines say.... 'Bell and Whistles', blah blah blah"

                                              The opened mindedness over here is unreal. I have never seen anything
                                              like it.

                                              For everyone on CG.com, Have fun above all else. Like my god fearing
                                              Grandmother use to tell me, "Don’t let the F%#ckers get you down..." :-)

                                              <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                                              > Mark,
                                              >

                                              > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic members
                                              allowed
                                              > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                                              >

                                              > Randell

                                            • Tony Fannin
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                                Ok, I'm gonna try out tc.com. I've been very inactive lately but am
                                                getting back into caching. I've got a couple ammocans full of stuff
                                                waiting to be put out. Anyone wanna sponsor 'Team Bohica'?

                                                Tony
                                              • Grajek
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                                  You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                                    As evidenced by the four offers I got real quick. Thanks everybody.

                                                    Tony

                                                    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:02:19 -0600, Grajek <jgrajek@...> wrote:

                                                    > You will have no trouble getting sponsored trust me.

                                                  • Essiar
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                                      Interesting. I've never used GSAK. 3 days ago I downloaded some
                                                      tc.com caches as gpx files into my PDA and got very little info,
                                                      just a very small portion of the decription of the description. I
                                                      guess it's not ready for Cachemate yet.

                                                      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, lowracer
                                                      <lowracer@a...> wrote:
                                                      > Steve, you might want to check it out, things have advanced quite
                                                      > bit. Here is what you get in the GPX file as imported by GSAK.
                                                      Clyde
                                                      > is supporting the TC.com site very well, as demand from registered
                                                      > TC.com GSAK users has warranted:
                                                      >
                                                      > Coords, waypoint ID (e.g., TC02), cache name, the cache type,
                                                      found/not
                                                      > found state of the last several logs, the text of the last several
                                                      > logs, the text of the cache description, the coordinates, the
                                                      cache
                                                      > placer name, placed/found dates. Some fields are markedly
                                                      different
                                                      > from GC.com, for instance in GSAK it shows always 1/1 for
                                                      diff/terrain,
                                                      > and 'unknown' for container type. Some of the info in the GPX is
                                                      only
                                                      > available to paying members ($3/mo or $30/yr like GC.com) for
                                                      example
                                                      > you get the description only if you pay. But certainly this is no
                                                      > small portion of the info, it's most of the info. It's quite
                                                      usable in
                                                      > the field. You can go caching paperless from TC.com using GSAK
                                                      and
                                                      > your PDA or other device. You can also mix and match TC.com and
                                                      GC.com
                                                      > caches in the same GSAK database and the same GPS and PDA.
                                                      >
                                                      > -mark.
                                                      >

                                                      > On Jan 3, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Essiar wrote:
                                                      >

                                                      > > Not yet, someone is working on it. I believe it is Robert Lipe
                                                      of
                                                      > > GPS Babel fame. Currently, you can download a gpx file but will
                                                      only
                                                      > > get a very small portion of the info
                                                      > >
                                                      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Dan Miner
                                                      > > <miner@c...> wrote:
                                                      > > > On tc.com, is there a way to download the first X cache
                                                      > > > waypoints to a GPSr like there is on the other cache site?
                                                      > > > Or is there a way to get all waypoints within Z miles
                                                      > > > from a specific spot downloaded to a GPSr?
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > >                         - Dan
                                                    • Essiar
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                                        If you pay will it work in Cachemate? Will you get a and be able to
                                                        see all the same data in Cachemate as you claim you can in GSAK?
                                                        <lowracer@a...> wrote:

                                                        > You do not have to be a premium member to download GPX files of
                                                        > multiple caches right off the site. However, if you want the text
                                                        of
                                                        > the cache description and the text of the last several logs to be
                                                        in
                                                        > that GPX file, then you need to pay. It is quite possible to go
                                                        > caching without the description and the logs. As for me, even
                                                        though
                                                        > I'm out of work I had no problem scraping together $3 in nickels
                                                        and
                                                        > dimes and pennies just to try it out for several weeks.
                                                        >
                                                        > A lot of these questions can be answered by just signing up on the
                                                        > site and poking around. It's OK, you won't be put on a GC.com
                                                        > blacklist... You don't have to revoke your GC.com membership to
                                                        try
                                                        > terracaching, and you just might like it! ;-)
                                                        >
                                                        > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Randell Pitts"
                                                        > <agfltmedic@y...> wrote:
                                                        > > Mark,
                                                        > >

                                                        > > Do you have to be a premium TC member for this, or are basic
                                                        members
                                                        > allowed
                                                        > > to access? I'll admit that I have not investigated this yet.
                                                        > >

                                                        > > Randell
                                                      • lowracer
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jan 4, 2005
                                                          Yes.