9082Re: Austin Hotspots (WAPs)

  • Essiar
    Nov 3, 2004
      You can park outside any Schlotzkys and get good reception.
      Recently, I just hopped from strip mall to strip mall, suprising how
      many small biz and homes have unsecured networks. Heck, I can sit in
      my house and pick up 6 nets, 1/2 of them unsecured. Starbucks does
      charge a fee via their sbc or tmobile nets. It seems like just about
      every eating/drinking establishment around here has free wifi now.
      Last night when driving past the local chicken wing place (Wings and
      More) they had a new Free Wifi sign hanging up. It seem that in N
      Austin you shouldn't have to drive more than a few blocks at most to
      get a net.

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Alex Alexander
      <alex.yahoogroups@n...> wrote:
      > Well I use my pda and downloaded the WiFi sniffer application from
      Boingo.

      > I'm sure they have a PC version as well. It sniffs out WiFi
      hotspots, if
      > they are free they you hit connect, and it does just that.
      >
      > There are probably more free hotspots in Austin than anywhere else
      I've
      > been. now that many hotels are offering free internet to their
      guests it
      > would be interesting to park up outside one of them and see if you
      can use
      > their internet.
      >
      > alex.
      >

      > At 12:19 PM 11/3/2004, you wrote:
      >
      > >Thanks Alex,
      > >
      > >It took someone from almost halfway around the world to reply.
      > >Sometimes I feel like the black sheepr Austin Geocaching family.
      > >
      > >How do you logon?
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic