      From: AusGeoCache@... [mailto:AusGeoCache@...]
      Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 1:04 PM
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Garner State Park/Frio River

      Julie ask for a full report on caching in the Garner State Park area so here it is...

      Garner State Park is the busiest park in the TPW system.  Every day seems like a weekend and at times the park closes by 10AM so make reservations early and plan on an urban camping environment.  Tubin' the Frio should be required for Texas Citizenship.  The river get her name for the cold spring water and there isn't anything much better than floating slowly along enjoying one of Texas Gems.
      Nearby Lost Maples SP offers a very quite contrast to Garner.  Each time I've been we've had the park almost to ourselves.  The leaf season changes everything.  Be prepared for a break in the solitude during a fall visit.  We choose to stay in cabins along the river rather than camping in the parks.  There is a price range to suit most any budget.

      Caching is limited to 5 caches in these two parks.  My favorites were 'Look Ma' (Garner) and 'Water Maple' (Lost Maples).  The hike to 'Look Ma' is memorable because of the steepness of the trail and the view from the top of the world.  I did it early one morning while the rest of the Blizzard Team slept in. Great time!

      The surrounding area offers a fair concentration of caches but we didn't go for them choosing to float the river instead.

      Cache on,
      Blizzard

      Dick Young

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic