5278Re: Kinda OT: are we too grown up for a mailing list?

  • Mike
    Apr 8, 2004
      You know, one of Shelly's posts recently got me thinking again about
      switching from the E-mail group to a forum. It was her post
      regarding the recent Grajek-Tony "debate" about how she once
      unsubscribed when there was some ranting about virtuals going on. I
      remember that whenever our debates in this forum get a bit fast and
      furious, a number of you get a little irritated. Myself, I always
      find these situations the most interesting. But I'd hate to "stir
      the pot" if it meant flooding the E-mail boxes of those that want
      only the nice friendly messages. To me, this is the best reason to
      switch to a forum, and its a good enough reason that I'm almost
      ready to change my mind.

      It seems like everyone would be happy if there was a forum hosting
      site that would give members the option of having posts to be E-
      mailed to them. The actual text of the post; not just a notification
      that someone has posted. Also, a feature that would send / notify
      you when a new THREAD was posted as well... I don't think the
      proboard or TXGA / Austinexplorer style boards have that option.

      Has anyone come across any board hosting sites out there with both
      of these features? If so, I think we should move. People like me can
      subscribe to every single thread, and it will be just like Yahoo
      (except our messages will actually be posted on time!) Others can
      only subscribe to the threads they wish to follow. All are happy.

      If not, these sites damn well should have those features. Wouldn't
      be hard to implement. Maybe I'll have to E-mail the posting sites
      soon with some suggestions. Doubt it'll do much good, but there is
      always hope.

      Mike

      <candylind@e...> wrote:
      > I'm not trying to say this "place" is no good any more, but is
      anyone else feeling the tiniest bit overwhelmed by the number of
      emails you are getting from here on a daily basis? I thought about
      changing to "digest" mode, but you don't get pictures or graphics
      that are included when you do that, or when you go to read posts on
      Yahoo. It's not really very easy to follow a thread and skip the
      stuff you are not interested in, either, because people forget to
      change the subject line when a discussion goes off on a tangent.

      > I'm kinda thinking that we've "grown up" and we're too big to use
      a simple mailing list any more. A "forum" would be much easier to
      negotiate and navigate, and to weed out what you want to read and
      what you don't. To that end, I would like to suggest a transition to
      the Central Texas Forum on TXGA. I plan to begin posting questions
      and/or comments both places, and I hope that others will give the
      TXGA forum a looksee, as well.

      > I would be happy to hear other opinions, and I'm not saying we
      should do away with the Centex list, but I think we're big enough to
      put a forum and all its features to very good use.

      > Just as an example, it's easier for people to find us on the state-
      wide site than it is on Yahoo. Charizard from the Panhandle is
      coming here this weekend, and would like suggestions for kid-
      friendly caches. She'll be staying in the Elgin area. She posted on
      the TXGA site. READ HERE. Please help me give her some good
      suggestions!

      > Happy Trails!
      > Candy Lind candylind@e...
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic