5254Re: Kinda OT: are we too grown up for a mailing list?

  • jnjwalla
    Apr 7, 2004
      Maybe it's because we do not use this service as a mailing list and
      more as a message board, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong
      with the current YAHOO service. Of the ~155 members, about 40 are
      active posters.
      Would changing to Proboard or another software/service, solve the
      problem of receiving too many emails in your box? You're right, the
      way that we are using the service, we do not get to view embedded
      images. Is that such a loss?
      John

      <candylind@e...> wrote:
      > I'm not trying to say this "place" is no good any more, but is
      anyone else feeling the tiniest bit overwhelmed by the number of
      emails you are getting from here on a daily basis? I thought about
      changing to "digest" mode, but you don't get pictures or graphics
      that are included when you do that, or when you go to read posts on
      Yahoo. It's not really very easy to follow a thread and skip the
      stuff you are not interested in, either, because people forget to
      change the subject line when a discussion goes off on a tangent.

      > I'm kinda thinking that we've "grown up" and we're too big to use
      a simple mailing list any more. A "forum" would be much easier to
      negotiate and navigate, and to weed out what you want to read and
      what you don't. To that end, I would like to suggest a transition to
      the Central Texas Forum on TXGA. I plan to begin posting questions
      and/or comments both places, and I hope that others will give the
      TXGA forum a looksee, as well.

      > I would be happy to hear other opinions, and I'm not saying we
      should do away with the Centex list, but I think we're big enough to
      put a forum and all its features to very good use.

      > Just as an example, it's easier for people to find us on the state-
      wide site than it is on Yahoo. Charizard from the Panhandle is
      coming here this weekend, and would like suggestions for kid-
      friendly caches. She'll be staying in the Elgin area. She posted on
      the TXGA site. READ HERE. Please help me give her some good
      suggestions!

      > Happy Trails!
      > Candy Lind candylind@e...
      > "Hello, my name is Candy, I go by Moosiegirl, and I am a
      GEOCACHER."
      http://www.txga.net