      From: Dave Read <dave@...>
      To: <CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: Becky Squires <squires.becky@...>
      Subject: Re: [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS] Fwd: Puzzle caches
      Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 11:58:40 -0600

      Well, you got letters that gave you the first 4 letters of a string of words. Then you can guess the missing letters from each word. From there I would try two things. 1) convert the letters of each word back into numbers, then add the values of the letters from each word. If you get a value greater than 10, try adding the digits of the number until you get a single digit. That is, if you the number values for the letters in the word add to 72, then add 7 and 2 to get 9. Another approach for the 72 case would be to ignore the 7 and just take the 2.  2) If approach (1) doesn't work, try doing the same thing with just the missing letters from each word. That is, if the word is GLUTTONY, which has 8 letters, you were only given the first 4. Try using approach (1) on TONY.

      Just thinking out loud...

      From: Greg Jewett <geojewett@...>
      Date: Wednesday, March 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM
      To: <CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com>
      Cc: Becky Squires <squires.becky@...>
      Subject: [CENTRALTEXASGEOCACHERS] Fwd: Puzzle caches

      Paul and SQ, and others..

      Here is a question from Becky on a specific puzzle she is trying to solve!

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Becky Squires <squires.becky@...>
      Subject: Re: Puzzle caches
      Date: March 1, 2014 at 04:05:34 pmCST
      To: Greg Jewett <geojewett@...>

      Thanks so much, Greg!  The most recent one where I have had this issue is Feelin' Hot Hot Hottest (GC3VDWX).  The words seem to be the 7 deadly sins.  So I have the word GLUTTONY; now what do I do?  Even the cache description says "you will need to convert the words to numbers"-- like everyone knows how to do this.

      On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 9:35 PM, Greg Jewett <geojewett@...> wrote:
      Becky..

      I am a puzzle newbie.  However, I am going to post to the group - The Central Texas Geocachers.
      There some Puzzle gurus.   I also would love to know the answer.

      Greg Jewett
      Geocacher Handle:  GeoJewett
      http://geocaching.ejewett.com/

      On Feb 26, 2014, at 02:52 PM, Becky Squires <squires.becky@...> wrote:

      Would you please help me with a stumbling block I have experienced several times?  In solving puzzle caches, after you have come up with the WORDS, how do you convert them into NUMBERS in order to get the coordinates?  There must be a universal method.  Cache owners seem to assume that we know how to do this, so there are never any hints offered for this step.

      Thanks for your help!

      Becky

      info.fixyourbloodsugar.com
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic