41934Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] RE: DNF's

  • s6sputnik
    Sep 4, 2013
      Great border stories ...I know the drill from living close to borders (Denmark, Arizona, Michigan and Ontario). USA/Canada border is the most miserable border to cross !!! Must have done it 100 times and hated every one!
      My personal lessons are...
      1) Don't Drive from Detroit to London ONT to try on bridesmaids gowns (wife not me) and return to the border 2.5 hours later.  (car drug search entering Canada)
      2) Don't go to visit a group of friends camping in a provincial park on Lake Huron with your 4 year old daughter while mom is off to a Tennis tournament. (Random interrogation real random???) (Entering Canada)
      3) Don't try to bring 12 too many Labats Blue into Canada it will costs you x2 in taxes, or you can donate it to the Crown (my choice) I drink Texas beer now. My wife told the Canadian customs guy that Canada could screw off and 4 months later she was a US Citizen. (Entering Canada)
      4) Went to an island up near Kingston area with my Daughter meeting family from Ohio (you guessed it) another.. RANDOM interrogation..lets face it, it was not RANDOM (nothing like having Canadian Helga interrogate you in front of your freaking out 5 year old kid). (Entering Canada)
      5) Traveling on a Danish passport gets your car searched for pornographic materials entering the US from Canada...(My dad) (Entering USA)
      6) Traveling with someone who has a Diplomatic Passport from Mexico gets you 45 minutes of B.S. at the US border. (They cannot touch you, but they sure can talk to you and tell you what they think of you) (Entering USA)
      Fact is that crossing borders is dicey even though it should not be, and no one has as much power as a border security guard!
      Funny thing is that I was harassed less getting in and out of the DDR and CSSR in 1982 and 1984!
      Cheers from safely behind my desk!
      In a message dated 9/4/2013 9:14:19 A.M. Central Daylight Time, palbers@... writes:

      Great story. We had a similar experience going into Edmonton last year. I walked right through,
      went and found some caches and then I went to pick up Ryan at the airport to start our hiking
      across Alberta geocaching trip. He was detained for three hours. We were going to rough it
      in the woods. They didn't like that at all. It went down hill for him quickly after that. What finally
      got him through was a lengthy conversation we had back and forth via texts that day and
      prior week. If not for that, they were not going to allow him into Canada.

      The agent said, "On a good day I can keep 6 out of 10 from entering". His goal is to not allow
      people into their country. I was floored. We actually wrote a letter of complaint to their government
      and got a response which was 100% in support of this. Great stories, but be prepared for delays.
      I was lucky and the agent I talked with knew about geocaching and as the planner, I had printouts
      of every stop and location along the way. Helps to have more than you think you need on you,
      itinerary, photos like Keith had, cell phone conversations, email, etc...

      indigo.parrish@... wrote:

      One of my favorite caching stories of all time is related in my DNF log here:

      'Welcome to Minnesota' indeed

      -Keith (aka King of the DNFs)

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic