41713Re: Replace Caches

  • semperquestio
    Aug 7, 2013
      Very good post, Nathaniel.

      I'm a big believer that every cache has a life span and NO cache should be replaced by anyone other than the CO unless the CO has been contacted about that specific cache to be sure it is replaced in the correct manner with an appropriate container size and type.

      Also, if a CO believes their cache may be missing, they owe it to the caching community to disable it immediately until the can check on it and take action on it. If the CO knows it is missing, they should immediately either disable it if they plan on fixing it or archive it.

      Maintaining caches is a big part of being a CO and it should be taken far more seriously that it is.

      {/soapbox}

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, GrnBeret2B <grn.beret.2b@...> wrote:

      > Toni, announcing open game for anyone to replace any of your caches opens a
      > bag of worms that I know a number of cache hiders in the Austin area don't
      > want to see opened. YOU, specifically, may not care if people replace YOUR
      > caches if they are missing, but there are cache hiders who have caches with
      > 3 and 4 star difficulty ratings and the caches have those ratings for a
      > reason. You and I both know that newer cachers don't check the difficulty
      > ratings. Since we have new cachers not checking difficulty ratings, and a
      > cache owner who has announced open game on their caches to be replaced, we
      > all of a sudden have a bunch of new cachers that could get confused and
      > think it's OK for any cache to be replaced (not saying this is your
      > intention, but I have seen this in the past). All of a sudden cleverly
      > difficult and evil hides become simple hides.
      >
      > As an example, ACCLanMan and I own a cache that gives cachers difficulty
      > because we like to make people think about the hides. At one point, we
      > noticed that the number of DNFs from new cachers went down, and finds went
      > way up, we got a bit curious and, at about that time, an experienced cacher
      > posted a log saying that they had found the log in a bag and put it in a
      > plastic tube. We knew immediately what happened, went out there and
      > removed the "replacement cache" that had been placed under the nearby
      > lampskirt. Since that day in May, there was 1 find, followed by a string
      > of 5 DNFs (spread through the next 2 months) after which we went back and
      > checked, and the nano was exactly where we left it. Point is, if cachers
      > had gotten used to replacing other caches willy nilly, we'd be making
      > regular trips to that one cache to keep pulling throwdowns out from
      > underneath the lampskirt, and that's not something I think anyone here
      > would want to do!
      >
      > You're posting a list of caches here that people shouldn't go for while
      > trying to keep their streak alive because the caches are missing, but, from
      > what I understand, not disabling them on GC.com. What about cachers that
      > haven't made it to this group who make the trip to find one of the caches
      > you've listed here? A lot of new cachers aren't reading cache pages or
      > recent logs, I've heard a lot of discussions about that at events lately,
      > so they aren't going to know. It's, honestly, a discourtesy to the general
      > caching community for a cache owner to know that a cache is missing and not
      > disable the listing until you get a chance to replace it.
      >
      > You say that you want to open the spots up for others, why not archive the
      > caches now, let other people in the area hide new ones, and you may have a
      > few pop up closer to you than others you'd picked for your cache a day,
      > making it even easier for you to maintain your streak!
      >
      > In fact, I think that's what Bigguy is up to, I'm getting a LOT of archival
      > notifications from her caches [?]
      >
      > Nathaniel
> [...]
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic