41283Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Open Street Maps?

  • Victor Engel
    Mar 10, 2013
      What you probably really want is a small set of layers for the US. The entire open street maps has many layers (for example, I've added trees in a local park, which you probably wouldn't be interested in), and the full database is in the terabytes. That's for the whole world, of course, but the US has a significant portion. I did a bit of looking around for an app I'm writing, which is how I ran into this information. I didn't save any of the links. So I can't give more detail. I did see information on how you can download the entire database. That wouldn't be very helpful to you, though, unless you had tools to extract only what you need.

      Victor Engel

      On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM, J Crozier <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

      I'm going to load it into a GPS.  Since I can buy a chip with a whole map set, I don't see why I won't have the storage for it.  Maybe I'm wrong!  But I've had success with smaller map sets.  The web site I'm using won't let me generate the whole US, but I have a feeling they're out there.  Couldn't hurt to ask!

      On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Victor Engel <brillig@...> wrote:

      Why do you want the whole US? That would be a huge amount of data. Do you even have the storage for it? How will you be using it?

      Victor Engel

      On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM, J Crozier <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

      Does anyone have a complete US map from Open Streets Maps that they could load to the files of this group?  I haven't been successful getting a full set.  Does anybody have links or tips or ideas for me?

      Open Streets Maps are free routable maps available online, and I'm experimenting.  I was able to get Bermuda maps for our recent trip there, but getting the whole US has been a real challenge.

      HELP!