41207Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Kim Komando

  • Victor Engel
    Feb 16, 2013
      Kim's video was also wrong in that it is not true that there are
      always at least 4 satellites in a direct line of sight. It may be true
      that there are always at least four above the horizon, but they may be
      blocked by mountains or downtown buildings.

      Last summer, I went to Guatemala and visited, among other places, a
      location for a development that my brother's architecture firm is
      working on. It's nestled in a valley. I recorded our path with my GPS
      but lost the signal completely at about 1000 yards of the building
      site. My GPS wasn't able to reacquire a signal until we had mostly
      left the valley.

      From the building site up to the mountain tops the angle of view was
      about 40 degrees except to the west where it was about 15 or 20
      degrees. I've been meaning to try to figure out how many satellites
      could have been visible, but I bet it was no more than two at the
      time. Maybe three.

      --
      Victor Engel
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic