40993Re: End of Challenges

  • semperquestio
    Dec 5, 2012
      OK. Back out of the shadows again cuz I would really like to see virts back too and we need to build support for the idea...

      If you want your voice to even have a chance of being heard in regards to virtuals, you need to sound off over on the Groundspeak forums. There are a few robust conversations going on over there about them now. It may not do a lick of good, but I'm pretty sure no one from Groundspeak is going to be paying attention to this forum.

      Here's some links to a few thread over there...

      http://tinyurl.com/at8tno2
      http://tinyurl.com/bbdfcp6
      http://tinyurl.com/b4exr7u

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "semperquestio" <sqcaching@...> wrote:

      > For those that missed it, I thought I step back out of the shadows long enough to pass this along from Groundspeak...
      >

      > Dear Geocacher,
      >
      > In our effort to inspire outdoor play through Geocaching, we are often faced with decisions about what to focus on next, and what to focus on less. It is through these decisions that we explore opportunities to grow the global game of Geocaching.
      >
      > Occasionally, during this process, we are faced with the reality that certain ideas don't catch on as we had hoped. In these situations we owe it to ourselves and to you to make tough decisions about the future of every project and the resources to be applied to each. Sometimes, as a result, cool features must become casualties.
      >
      > In this spirit, we have decided to retire Geocaching Challenges.
      >
      > This means that, effective today, we have disabled the ability to create new Challenges. We have also removed the Challenges application from all mobile application stores. In approximately 7 days, we will be removing all traces of the Challenges functionality and related content from Geocaching.com.
      >
      > On an office wall here at HQ is a sign that reads, "Let's make better mistakes tomorrow." By accepting that we will sometimes get it wrong, we can allow ourselves to learn from and imagine new opportunities in the world of Geocaching. Our hope is we can take the lessons from Challenges and create better tools to guide you on your next adventure.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      > Geocaching.com

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic