40550Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Texas Challenge 2014 Location Ideas

  • Kevin (KoosKoos)
    Aug 12, 2012
      If you're determined to have it at a state park, I'd suggest calling one of the TXGA contacts at Parks and Wildlife to ask for suggestions.  At Inks Lake, we got the feeling that while they welcomed us, they didn't need our help to sell out their park on a weekend, so they weren't as open to working with us as some locations might be.  And while Bastrop could sure use the revenue and awareness, I'm not sure they'd want hundreds of geocachers running rampant through the park as it's recovering from the fires.

      TPWD could tell you which parks might need a boost in publicity and which ones might best fit our needs when it comes to facilities and available space.  In our region, I don't know if there are any parks that need our help to fill up or can easily handle 500+ cachers for the weekend (assuming you think it'd go mega again).

      As Julie pointed out, you could always branch out and look at county fairgrounds, private campgrounds, or other city facilities for camping/hosting.  Depending on the area, you can have people camping in one location and play the game in another as we did in 2009.

      Kevin
      KoosKoos

      On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Jestr <jestrrrulz@...> wrote:

      What's the harm in having something different every 4-5 years, eh? Takes people out of their comfort zone and highlights new stuff!!

      Jeri / JestrRulz

      On Aug 9, 2012, at 12:01 PM, "gumbietygress@..." <gumbietygress@...> wrote:

      I agree with Julie.

      We
      Of course, I may be prejudiced, but the Fredericksburg format was still my favorite evah.... apparently it didn't float with the other regions, though....

      -B/Tygress

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic