36312Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Texas Challenge Rule Changes

  • Nathaniel Dickerman
    Apr 5, 2011
      I'd help when and where I could, I had far, far too much fun setting up the E Rock challenge!

      grn beret 2b

      On Apr 4, 2011, at 5:48 PM, "Mrs. Captain Picard" <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:

      Actually, Nathanial, I wouldn't mind throwing an event based on the individual team challenge like we did at ERock in 2009.  The big guy and I are retiring from daily work in 46 days, so you never know what we can accomplish after that.  As it seems to always go, the more days we have free, the more stuff we try to jam into it!

      You would help me, right?

      ....and that is NOT a commitment to throw this event!

      Mrs. Captain Picard

      On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Nathaniel D <grn.beret.2b@...> wrote:

      To add a bit of clarification, the various regions typically take turns hosting the Texas Challenge to allow it to move around the state to areas closer to home for the various regions.  In 2003, the first challenge was hosted by CenTex, NE of Temple.  In '04, SETX hosted it in huntsville.  In '05, NTX hosted it just south of Dallas.  In '06, CenTex hosted it at Inks Lake.  In '07, SETX hosted it a bit south of Houston (Brazos Bend SP).  In '08, NTX hosted it west of Fort Worth.  In '09, CenTex had it in Fredericksburg.  In '10, it was hosted by West Texas in San Angelo and in '11, it was hosted in Huntsville again.

      Doing a CentralTexas Challenge might be interesting, but I'm not sure who would be up for the planning since there's so much that goes into it.  (Julie, are you feeling particularly industrious this year?  :P)

      Grn Beret 2B

      On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Elise Taylor <elise_t@...> wrote:

      Fair warning: I'm speaking as someone who has never been to a Challenge.
      That said, I've been to other events, and enjoyed them.

      Personally, if you're looking for upping participation, I think I'm the
      demographic you're targeting. I love geocaching, I'm relatively new to
      the "community," but I'm still a participant in the community. How do you
      get me out to a Texas Challenge?

      Well, I'd say the biggest thing that prevented me from wanting to go to
      this most recent one was the distance. In short, I wasn't willing to give
      up a weekend to drive to Houston (ugh), and I didn't know many people
      there. However, I also know that if I fell in love with the Challenge
      atmosphere, I'd be considerably more interested in it.

      Therefore, how to get my demographic to fall in love? It would be easier
      to get me out there if:

      1. It were closer
      2. (As Deb mentioned) I got smileys for the finds.

      Therefore, would it be possible to do a local challenge? Something
      designed for just the greater Austin area? If I went to that and realized
      that I loved it, I'd be up for a weekend trip for it.

      > I think you would get more participation if the caches in the challenge
      > were actually published caches and you get smileys for the finds.

      > Deb of Joey & Deb
      > --- On Mon, 4/4/11, electric_water_boy <electric_water_boy@...>
      > wrote:
      > From: electric_water_boy <electric_water_boy@...>
      > Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Texas Challenge Rule Changes
      > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Monday, April 4, 2011, 2:07 PM

      > If there are rule changes you'd like to see made for future Texas
      > Challenges, send me an email with your suggested change.
      > One example that has been suggested for discussion is only counting the
      > top 80% of a team's score. The rationale behind that is if a team has
      > people drop out because they were hurt, or score cards get lost, or people
      > get tired and quit, then those scores won't hurt the team. There are
      > plenty of pros and cons to this. The major pro that I can think is that it
      > might help more people consider playing.
      > Anyway, if you have suggested changes, or you want to comment on this rule
      > change, please email me. Thanks.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic