36300Re: Texas Challenge Rule Changes

  • gj289fia
    Apr 5, 2011
      You are very likely correct. The problem is that as long as the events are held in state parks, permanent caches must comply with all the TPW guidelines including filling out paperwork for approval plus comply with all Groundspeak guidelines as well, such as .1 separation between caches, etc.

      At HSP, we were required to submit coords for all locations to the park manager for prior approval of the cache location, but since the caches were only in place for a few days, we were permitted to bypass the full formal process. Initially it was planned that park personnel accompany us as we hid the caches but they backed off of that idea. I think that we convinced them we were going to be responsible cachers and not abuse the privileges we had been given.

      Given the difficulty of planning and placing the caches under even the liberalized conditions that we dealt with I doubt that many event host teams would be willing to place permanent caches for the event. In the end, you will get the event smiley, possibly a few others (CITO,etc. while attending) plus have the opportunity to up your smiley count with caches in a new area. After all "It's not about the numbers" (or so they say, anyway).

      Gary / Team Troglodyte (Challenge 2011 hide committee member)

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Sampson <sampson_debbie@...> wrote:

      > I think you would get more participation if the caches in the challenge were actually published caches and you get smileys for the finds.
      >
      > Deb of Joey & Deb

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic