36289Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Texas Challenge Rule Changes

  • Denise Vajdak
    Apr 4, 2011
      I'm not exactly sure how the scoring was done, but I would take all the score cards turned in, add all the scores together and divide by the number of cards.  If cards are lost or not turned in, they don't count for or against you.

      It would definitely help to have all the caches count on GC.com and/or OpenCaching.US.

      As far as distance, it moves around the State. Sooner or later, it would end up near you.

      Instead of punches for the cards, I would use rubber stamps/stamp pad.  It would create less paper waste on the ground (and torn cards).

      Put the cache numbers in order on the cards to make it easier to find them.

      Denise E. Vajdak  ><>  (aka NativTxn)
      http://denisevajdak.us     http://facebook.com/denisevajdak     http://twitter.com/nativtxn

      Geocaching - If you hide it, they will come!

      On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Elise Taylor <elise_t@...> wrote:

      Fair warning: I'm speaking as someone who has never been to a Challenge.
      That said, I've been to other events, and enjoyed them.

      Personally, if you're looking for upping participation, I think I'm the
      demographic you're targeting. I love geocaching, I'm relatively new to
      the "community," but I'm still a participant in the community. How do you
      get me out to a Texas Challenge?

      Well, I'd say the biggest thing that prevented me from wanting to go to
      this most recent one was the distance. In short, I wasn't willing to give
      up a weekend to drive to Houston (ugh), and I didn't know many people
      there. However, I also know that if I fell in love with the Challenge
      atmosphere, I'd be considerably more interested in it.

      Therefore, how to get my demographic to fall in love? It would be easier
      to get me out there if:

      1. It were closer
      2. (As Deb mentioned) I got smileys for the finds.

      Therefore, would it be possible to do a local challenge? Something
      designed for just the greater Austin area? If I went to that and realized
      that I loved it, I'd be up for a weekend trip for it.

      Elise/PandaChic

      > I think you would get more participation if the caches in the challenge
      > were actually published caches and you get smileys for the finds.
      >

      > Deb of Joey & Deb
      >
      > --- On Mon, 4/4/11, electric_water_boy <electric_water_boy@...>
      > wrote:
      >

      > From: electric_water_boy <electric_water_boy@...>
      > Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Texas Challenge Rule Changes
      > To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Monday, April 4, 2011, 2:07 PM
      >

      > If there are rule changes you'd like to see made for future Texas
      > Challenges, send me an email with your suggested change.
      >
      > One example that has been suggested for discussion is only counting the
      > top 80% of a team's score. The rationale behind that is if a team has
      > people drop out because they were hurt, or score cards get lost, or people
      > get tired and quit, then those scores won't hurt the team. There are
      > plenty of pros and cons to this. The major pro that I can think is that it
      > might help more people consider playing.
      >
      > Anyway, if you have suggested changes, or you want to comment on this rule
      > change, please email me. Thanks.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic