      From: "semperquestio" <sqcaching@...>
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Groundspeak Souvenirs
      Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 17:32:22 -0000

      I see your point, but my experience has been quite different than that cacher's.

      Of the first 11 States for which a souvenir was awarded, I have gotten a physical cache in GA and locationless caches based in DE, PA, GA, CT, and SC.  I was awarded a souvenir for DE and GA, but not for PA , CT, or SC.  Of course, this is by no means definitive and who knows what GS's search alogrithms and data selection criteria may be, but by the track record based on MY find history it would SEEM that locationless were dropped after DE (as PA was the 2nd State).  But who the heck outside of Groundspeak really knows?  It'll be mildly interesting to see what happens when they do the next State.  It's NC and I got a locationless from there, too.

      In any event, I'm not gonna get my knickers in a twist over it.  It's kind of a cool concept and they are cool little pics, but they don't influence my caching in any way.  Kinda like collecting the geocoin icons as MCP referred to.  I like getting them, but I'm certainly not gonna fret over it if I miss some.  :)

      SQ/HW

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Jay Bingham <binghamjc@...> wrote:

      > The thread on the Groundspeak forums that I referred to earlier was started
      > by a cacher asking about a souvenir that he received for a locationless
      > cache that the poster had found which is currently in Georgia (or was when
      > the Georgia souvenir was awarded) for which he was awarded the Georgia
      > souvenir even though he had never been to Georgia. So I am not at all
      > certain that it can be assumed that locationless caches have been excluded,
      > if they have been excluded it would have occurred after Georgia was awarded;
      > which is entirely possible, Georgia being #4 on the list.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:

      SHOCKING: 2010 Honda Civic for $1,734.09
      SPECIAL REPORT: High ticket items are being...
      memphisgazette.com
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic