34933Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: 10th Anniversary Event - FYI/Action items/Questions

  • Mrs. Captain Picard
    Oct 6, 2010
      I highly encourage you to find a location with indoor space.  March weather can be very iffy.  Remember how cold it was at the Fredericksburg Challenge?  Imagine if we were using open air pavillions that weekend?  It would have been miserable.  Plus, if you want to have a vendor fair, they will want indoor space.

      San Gabriel Park in Georgetown has a nice community center with reasonable rent.   It's not Austin, of course.

      All public schools are available for rent when school's not in session, and they have lots of parking!

      Mrs. Captain Picard

      On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 6:52 AM, Mrs. Captain Picard <mrscaptainpicard@...> wrote:
      When we were looking for a location for the Texas Challenge in 2009, some of the places we considered were fairgrounds, large churches, and rec centers.  We looked at the Millenium Youth Entertainment Center in East Austin.  If Zilker isn't available, what about Auditorium Shores or Fiesta Gardens?  Check out local party farms or ballrooms.  What about the Delco Center or gosh, have I lived in San Antonio so long that I forgot the name of that complex in south Austin?????  Sad!

      I hope that gives you guys some new leads.

      Mrs. Captain Picard

      On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:00 PM, lizeebie <lizeebie@...> wrote:

      Hi all,

      I wanted to put some info out for you guys. Plus, like Ed said, we need your help!

      I'm on the date/location committee (with Ed and others). We were hoping to have the event at Zilker Park the weekend of 3/26-3/27. However, the park is not available that weekend for such a large gathering. There is no other Austin run park big enough, so we're out of luck for a park, at least one run by the city of Austin.

      Someone on the committee is supposed to be contacting Lord British (this week, I hope - hint hint). I will try to see about the Expo center, too.

      Does anyone on this list have any other Austin locations we can check into for that weekend? If so, please send them to me off list. We really do need to find a suitable place SOON before much more can progress. But the location committee has been stumped! Help! :-)

      And we really need to get on the ball with sponsors. We need to know the budget and get some funds to put a deposit on the place we do find. If you know of anyone/business that can help, please contact Ed or Vicki as mentioned in the first email of this thread.

      Also, Di is supposed to be submitting the event to GC.com, since we have a date we like. I haven't heard yet what the status of the submission is. Di? Can you help with that?

      Next - my hubby, JustPlaneChris, has volunteered to be the web guy for this event. He's waiting on a domain name to move forward with getting that phase. He asked someone, and hasn't gotten a response. So, we'll ask the group. :-) Anyone have any clever names for our event? Just throw some ideas out and we will find a variation for the web site.

      Hope this answers some of the questions out there. :-)

      BTW - is anyone out there an event planner or project manager who is willing and able to help out?

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, jestrrrulz@... wrote:
      > Will the committee's be submitting the Mega on GC.com so that people can
      > start making plans? I would imagine that we could get some flexibility on
      > changing the final location once it has been set.
      > Maybe we can start an e-mailing group or other communication method so that
      > the other committees are aware of what all is going on.
      > Jeri / JestrRulz
      > In a message dated 10/4/2010 8:51:17 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      > edgeanderson@... writes:
      > The date has been set: March 26 & 27 (Saturday and Sunday). An additional
      > event will be held at Sholtz Beer Garden on the actual anniversary (March
      > 24).

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic