30468Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Thanks for the warm (hot) welcome!

    Aug 3, 2009
      On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:48:23 -0000 "electric_water_boy"
      <electric_water_boy@...> writes:
      > > That's all right -- we'll just play games with the local place
      > name
      > > pronunciations.
      > > It's a local versus newcomer trick.
      > > [[I think they do it on purpose.]]
      >
      > Is Austin as nuts as San Antonio?

      It's a Texas Thang....

      And coming to Texas with a Californio Spanish accent hasn't helped.
      And that's just to trip up San Jacinto (in CA, it's San Ha-SEEN-toe (a
      mountain), in Texas San Jah-Sin-Toe)
      before you get to
      Manor (May-Nor)
      Seguin (Suh-Geen)
      Greune (Green)
      Boerne (Bern)
      Montague..... (Mon-TAYG) (the rest of the country would say
      Mon-tah-Gue ... rhymes with cue)

      There was an article on just this phenom in a recent Texas Highways....
      well, recent could be any time in the past 6 months, I get to these
      things slowly.

      > We're in Bexar (pronounced Bear) county.

      really, not bee-har? See, you can tell I"m not a local already!

      > We have a street called De Zavala (pronounced Days of Allah)
      > We have a street called Huebner (pronounced Heeb Ner)
      >
      > Don't get me started here, this could go on for days!

      so it could, so it could....

      Can't throw too many unanswered stones -- we've got some doozies in the
      Pacific NorthWet.
      And Coloradans has some interesting pronunciation twists.

      Berthoud Pass, for example, is Bur-thud....

      more fun in the regionalisms! Tygress
      Purify your water with professional water treatment. Click now!
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTK8PJI93gsncbORqHkloOYbWqNw2c1foFNJzFLJY8pXtFux4qaiSM/
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic