27058Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] OT: Shout Out for Doc Geo and Moosiegirl

    Sep 1, 2008
      huzzah!
      And, yes, extra huzzahs for the support crew!

      On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 07:09:10 -0700 (PDT) Doc <bcwatson@...> writes:
      Thanks!   (Actually, it was 269 racers in 162 boats.)  It sure is odd. Pay someone else $50 to allow you to beat yourself up...
      Was in a lot of pain yesterday and fell asleep at Chili's waiting for meal to arrive (not to mention falling asleep every time wife took me from one place to another....

      The race is great!  I can't believe I was able to keep on paddling my pace as long as I did.  Night time paddling was a bit nerve wracking...  when you hear rushing water and the light on your bow only shows ahead and you dare not try to turn you boat to see what is to the sides because the water continues to carry you and you might not have time to get away from something if you're turned sideways.  So you stop paddling every few strokes and listen to hear if there is any rushing water... then you steer away from it... because you don't know if it's rocks or worse, a fallen tree....

      And my wife,Sue, was great.  This is not a race that is easily completed, but having a support crew makes it much more possible...  from emptying trash from my kayak, to refilling my camelback bladder, and refilling my small cooler with more ice and replacing my baggie of bars and gels...   and just being a friendly face and hug-giver was a lot of good for my morale...

      Knowing that over 30 people dropped out of the race and on the last leg I was still able to pass up 8 more people AND finish in under 24 hours (I really didn't think that would have been possible), is more than reward for my efforts!

      A BIG congratulations to Candy for her completion of her first 10K!

      Barry