26825Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Garmin 60CSx question

  • Maria "theJump"
    Aug 11, 2008
      Hey there,
      So I'd like to interject that you might want to check your track for stray waypoints ... occassionally especially in downtown areas a stray reading will cause this type of error too ... you can really see them if you look at your tracklog ... but you can see them when you are walking by looking at your max speed.  I have done many runs downtown where these stray waypoints say that my max speed is 14mph or something crazy ... it's just an indicator that there are stray waypoints ... caused by bouncing signals ...
      -Maria / TheJump

      On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 3:53 PM, emmy_n_sapphie <emmy_n_sapphie@...> wrote:

      In preparation for the 10K Nike Human Race that will be held at the end
      of August, Pat & I walked the whole course this morning. I carried my
      Garmin 60CSx the whole way and we followed the publish course exactly.
      At the end of the supposedly 6.2 mile course, my mileage on the GPS was
      6.59 miles. Presumably the course is really 6.2 miles since it's a
      certified course. So what would cause my GPS unit to be off by 0.4
      miles? I can see it being off by 0.1 miles because of accuracy issues,
      but 0.4 miles seems like a lot of error. I had good satellite reception
      the whole time. Any thoughts?
      Mary Beth
      (emmy-n-sapphie)

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic