26693RE: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: counties in GSAK, a little question

  • Julie Perrine
    Jul 31, 2008

      OH MY GOSH!   GSAK was MADE for geocaching!

      I’ve never used those other programs, but

      GSAK allows you Unlimited databases

      You can slice, dice, sort manipulate, correct the coordinates, write notes, read past logs, etc. etc.

      I NEVER load waypoints to my GPS from anywhere other than GSAK because GSAK gives me so much flexibility in the information I send to the GPS!  When I look at a cache in my GPS, I have it show me the smart name, the type, the container, the difficulty and the terrain, all in the NAME of the waypoint!  I have it load the hint into my Notes section!

      I can sort by 1/1’s if I’m lazy and by 5/5’s if I’m not!

      I can tell it to generate files that I can use for MapSource, Streets and Trips, my PDA, GoogleEarth, etc. etc. etc.

      I can run any number of macros or filters on the data to slice and dice how I want.

      I can enter the final puzzle coordinates and it will always remember without me ever having to do anything else.

      I can see if the last couple of finds were DNFs or if the cache is active or not.

      One of my favorite features is the ability to take two (or more) people’s lists and combine them into one list of caches that neither of us has found yet.

      I can go on and on and on.  This is software that was written for us and once you use it, you will never go back.

      I imagine if you are very casual cachers and only go after a couple a month, maybe you don’t need GSAK.  But most people who are fairly avid are going to want to use it.  It’s free, but Clyde deserves to make a buck for this great tool, so I’m a paid subscriber.

      Lots of users are much more technical than me and use it for lots more than I do, but even I can do amazing things with it!

      Download it and bring your computer to any event.  You will find a zillion people willing to show you the tricks.

      Cheers,