26676Re: counties in GSAK

  • Dick Young
    Jul 29 3:43 PM
      Richard,
      When I chased the Challenge I kept a bookmark list of found counties
      marking my favorite cache or in most cases only cache found in a
      county. That was easier to keep up with if I listed the County first
      then the cache name thus creating an alpha order of found counties.
      You can set a PQ for your finds and update your personal records using
      the PQ. I am visual oriented so I also kept a map of finds. When I
      had an assignment to a far corner of the Great State I could arrange
      my travel through the unfound areas.

      As mentioned above I used Alan's GSAK macro for sorting and routing.
      It worked for me. Some of the others have used Google Maps. That did
      not work so well for me.

      When you finish, the Challenge requires that you send a PQ file of
      your finds for verification purposes, you might as well start now.

      If you have further questions regarding that process or if any of the
      finishers can assist you shout out.

      Cache and Travel On there are miles and miles of Texas to see.
      Good hunting,
      Blizzard,
      AKA Dick Young

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard"
      <rgbryan666@...> wrote:

      > Should we use the "My Finds" PQ to feed this process?
      >

      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <geocaching@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Joe King
      > > <joe_king_tx@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I know I seen it on here before but don't remember where.
      > > > How do I get GSAK to show me the county that a cache is in?
      > > >

      > > If you are using V7 of GSAK and are up to date with patches and
      > > updates the GetCounty() function was introduced in Version 7.2.3 and
      > > is now built in to GSAK. (See this forum thread:
      > > http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8565&view=findpost&p=53803 )
      > >
      > > The county data GSAK uses was painstakingly extracted from the Tiger
      > > 2007 files (can you tell that it was me that did the extraction... :-)
      > > ) and seems to be pretty accurate. It's also VERY quick - just a few
      > > seconds for thousands of caches. (Takes longer the first time as it
      > > downloads the data files for you)
      > >
      > > I put together a 'County Challenge' tester macro which will very
      > > quickly allow you to get the County data and will also tell you which
      > > counties you have finds in and which you don't for any State in
      the USA.

      > > Macro is available here:
      > > http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8588&view=findpost&p=53999
      > >
      > > All this builds on the great Macro that Alan wrote some time ago for
      > > Blizzard to check when he'd found the last Texas County!
      > >
      > > Mike
      > > (Lignumaqua)

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic