26398Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: counties in GSAK

  • Kevin (KoosKoos)
    Jun 20, 2008
      How completely AWESOME!!!

      So much faster with the new code in GSAK and thanks to Mike's program, I can now see counties for all of my states.

      Great job and thanks for sharing the new technical tidbit.

      On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Mike <geocaching@...> wrote:

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Joe King

      <joe_king_tx@...> wrote:
      > I know I seen it on here before but don't remember where.
      > How do I get GSAK to show me the county that a cache is in?

      If you are using V7 of GSAK and are up to date with patches and
      updates the GetCounty() function was introduced in Version 7.2.3 and
      is now built in to GSAK. (See this forum thread:
      http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8565&view=findpost&p=53803 )

      The county data GSAK uses was painstakingly extracted from the Tiger
      2007 files (can you tell that it was me that did the extraction... :-)
      ) and seems to be pretty accurate. It's also VERY quick - just a few
      seconds for thousands of caches. (Takes longer the first time as it
      downloads the data files for you)

      I put together a 'County Challenge' tester macro which will very
      quickly allow you to get the County data and will also tell you which
      counties you have finds in and which you don't for any State in the USA.

      Macro is available here:

      All this builds on the great Macro that Alan wrote some time ago for
      Blizzard to check when he'd found the last Texas County!

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic