2414Re: Re-radiating antenna for Etrex KICKS BUTT!

  • DougsBrat
    Oct 3, 2003
      <candylind@e...> wrote:
      > I put out a plea on TXGA for assistance in building something I'd
      seen on a gps newsgroup; it's called a re-radiating antenna.

      I have seen several plans on different websites for building these.
      Most plans use a 12v car plug to power the box, one even used 1 AA
      battery.
      That was what I needed for my Vista, so I got a External antenna from
      GPSGeek on ebay for $20 or so (magnet base & MCX connector so it
      would work on my emap too) and planned to make the box too.
      I still have not found a local source for the MCX connectors for the
      box, but I did find a source to buy the device already built with and
      without the antenna.
      http://pc-mobile.net/gpsant.htm

      > ...when Jim used it inside the house with his old GPS12, it more
      than quadrupled the signal the GPS was getting! And to make sure it
      wasn't getting sats through the windows, he put the GPS and the RRA
      inside a large tin can. TOO COOL.

      I attached my external antenna on the roof of the van and to the emap
      and I usually get all 12 sats with full signals!!! wow

      When the antenna is not on a large metal surface (ground plane) the
      signal is better than normal but not by much.

      DougsBrat
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic