23726Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: I'm Surrounded by Things to Find?!

    Nov 30, 2007
      See? One find and you're already famous.
      I predict GREAT things for you.

      The Tiger price SEMIK/Audra (we have these handles, you see -- a hold
      over from CB radios? I don't know) is the best I've seen. I've gotten
      ours through amazon.com, which also has a deep discount (and, if you can
      be patient, free super saver shipping!)....

      Oh, the fun you'll have, the things you'll see!

      BarbJ/Tygress

      On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 22:25:09 -0000 "Bruce Burns" <bruce@...>
      writes:
      > Wow! What a response! Thank you for the suggestions - I have a good
      >
      > idea of what GPS unit someone (hopefully) will be giving me this
      > Christmas! (And if I don't get one for Christmas, I'll just go buy
      >
      > it myself on the 26th).
      >
      > I also got an email from a Michael J., publisher of Geocacher
      > Magazine - he's interested in doing a feature story focused on my
      > posting about how my sister and I found out about geocaching!
      >
      > Bruce
      >

      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Burns"
      > <bruce@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Last week during Thanksgiving, my sister tells me this nutty story
      >
      > > that happened to her recently. She and her family were having a
      > > picnic in a park when another family walked up to hers at the park
      >
      > > table pavilion where they were sitting. Someone in the group
      > asked
      > > my sister if they could stand on the concrete table and look for
      > > something under the pavilion roof; so my sister, baffled at the
      > > strange request, tells the guy to go ahead. A second later, the
      > man
      > > pulls out a box from the rafters, opens it up, and signs a paper,
      >
      > > places some sort of trinket in the box, and then puts the box back
      >
      > > where it was. My sister was obviously curious and asked what was
      >
      > > going on, and that's when she found out about this whole
      > geocaching
      > > thing.
      > >
      > > Now it's been driving me crazy ever since she told me about this.
      >
      > > The thought that there's all these things hidden all around me -
      > and
      > > the fact that most of these things have been hidden all over for
      > > quite some time – well, it's really plaguing my mind and I got to
      >
      > go
      > > out and find them!
      > >
      > > But I don't have a GPS. Well, I do, but it's a USB thing that
      > > attaches to my laptop and works with Microsoft Streets and Trips.
      >
      > > However, I'm not going to take my laptop around with me in the wild
      >
      > > looking for these things. So I went out without a GPS looking for
      >
      > > them. I found the first one in a Cedar Park park down the street
      >
      > > from my house – that was easy, too many clues. But I've had no
      > such
      > > luck with the other one's I've looked for. I need a handheld
      > unit.
      > >
      > > So, let's say money is not really an obstacle here: What would be
      >
      > the
      > > best handheld GPS unit I could get, and what software and/or
      > hardware
      > > should I also buy along with it in order to have the most fun
      > > geocaching? I've always loved maps and stuff, so I'm a bit
      > shocked
      > > that I'm just now finding out about all of this and can't wait to
      >
      > get
      > > out there and find these things. Also, I'm also planning some
      > really
      > > creative caches and locations to place on my own...

      Life is a hard battle anyway, and if we laugh and sing a little as we
      fight the good fight of freedom, it makes it all go easier. --Sojourner
      Truth
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic