23720Re: I'm Surrounded by Things to Find?!

  • A Allen (SEMIK)
    Nov 30, 2007
      Hi Bruce! We're so glad you found our Yahoo group-- you have
      certainly come to the right place. I hope we don't scare you away
      with our exuberance! If we inundate you with too much info, please
      just yell "Time out"!

      You can probably get a used unit someplace (austin.craigslist.com -
      use caution; "GPS Garage Sale" forum on geocaching.com; eBay etc.).
      However if you are more comfortable with buying a NEW unit I concur
      with Barry/Doc Geo's suggestion of the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx
      *seems to be the favorite of geocachers worldwide
      *essentially customized for geocaching tasks
      *$309.99 at TigerDirect.com
      *$359.99 at TigerDirect.com

      However I am currently drooling over the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx
      which has very similar features in a smaller unit (I have small
      hands) and a smaller price tag
      * essentially customized for geocaching tasks
      * $209.99 at TigerDirect.com
      * $226.08 at TigerGPS.com

      I also concur with my fellow geocachers that Geocaching Swiss Army
      Knife (GSAK) is a godsend. And cheap! ($25.00 at GSAK.net). It was
      written by a geocacher and several of our locals are GSAK gurus. You
      can load maps, geocache waypoints, and your pda with this one handy
      tool.

      I use CacheMate for my Palm PDA to log my finds in the field and
      then upload my logs into GSAK and log them on geocaching.com.

      But before you go and try to figure all the software out -- watch
      for the regular Geekfest event held here in Austin where many of the
      local cachers will teach you how to do it all!

      Hope that wasn't too much. Let us know when you've got your
      handheld GPS and we'll suggest some great caches for you to find in
      order to get your creative juices flowing!

      See you on the trail!
      Audra Allen/semik
      I cache with my hubby, Matthew/mda_taz

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Burns"
      <bruce@...> wrote:

      > Last week during Thanksgiving, my sister tells me this nutty story
      > that happened to her recently. She and her family were having a
      > picnic in a park when another family walked up to hers at the park
      > table pavilion where they were sitting. Someone in the group
      asked
      > my sister if they could stand on the concrete table and look for
      > something under the pavilion roof; so my sister, baffled at the
      > strange request, tells the guy to go ahead. A second later, the
      man
      > pulls out a box from the rafters, opens it up, and signs a paper,
      > places some sort of trinket in the box, and then puts the box back
      > where it was. My sister was obviously curious and asked what was
      > going on, and that's when she found out about this whole
      geocaching
      > thing.
      >
      > Now it's been driving me crazy ever since she told me about this.
      > The thought that there's all these things hidden all around me -
      and
      > the fact that most of these things have been hidden all over for
      > quite some time – well, it's really plaguing my mind and I got to
      go
      > out and find them!
      >
      > But I don't have a GPS. Well, I do, but it's a USB thing that
      > attaches to my laptop and works with Microsoft Streets and Trips.
      > However, I'm not going to take my laptop around with me in the
      wild
      > looking for these things. So I went out without a GPS looking for
      > them. I found the first one in a Cedar Park park down the street
      > from my house – that was easy, too many clues. But I've had no
      such
      > luck with the other one's I've looked for. I need a handheld unit.
      >
      > So, let's say money is not really an obstacle here: What would be
      the
      > best handheld GPS unit I could get, and what software and/or
      hardware
      > should I also buy along with it in order to have the most fun
      > geocaching? I've always loved maps and stuff, so I'm a bit
      shocked
      > that I'm just now finding out about all of this and can't wait to
      get
      > out there and find these things. Also, I'm also planning some
      really
      > creative caches and locations to place on my own...

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic