23719Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] I'm Surrounded by Things to Find?!

  • Dominic J. Eidson
    Nov 30, 2007
      On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Bruce Burns wrote:

      > So, let's say money is not really an obstacle here: What would be the
      > best handheld GPS unit I could get, and what software and/or hardware
      > should I also buy along with it in order to have the most fun
      > geocaching? I've always loved maps and stuff, so I'm a bit shocked
      > that I'm just now finding out about all of this and can't wait to get
      > out there and find these things. Also, I'm also planning some really
      > creative caches and locations to place on my own...

      I started out with a Garmin eTrex Legend. Simple, b/w screen, not much
      internal storage, but it works.

      Then I saw a friend of mine's Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx. Yummy.

      Color screen, expandable external storage (microSD slot), a "geocaching
      mode", can do turn-by-turn directions if you load maps on it.

      It's awesome. It even works indoors, depending on your roof.

      I bought a 2GB microSD card for it, and bought the NorthAmerica map set
      from Garmin. Now I have turn-by-turn driving directions until I get close
      enough to the geocache. :)

      If you want a GPSr that works well for both outdoors and in the car, I
      highly recommend the 60Cx. Academy has it on "sale" for $399. (Yes, pricy,
      but worth it, IMHO.)

      - d.

      --
      Dominic J. Eidson