21867Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Hold off on caching in Walnut Creek Park

    Apr 30, 2007
      =nodding=
      Looks like they found another pipe bomb in Austin, too....

      We'll need to be very thoughtful about our cache hides for a while, especially with everyone so nerved up.

      On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:38:37 -0700 (PDT) d_rubarb <d_rubarb@...> writes:
      I'm sorry they had to resort to shooting at the guy, but sounds like he didn't give them much choice. I'm glad the park police are acting on these reports. I have seen alot of suspicious behavior in city parks all over. When I first started caching I was trying to get a night cache in the Copperas Cove city park. I was having trouble finding the redirectors and made several trips back to the park. I kept seeing this same guy hanging around the park every evening. On one trip I was in the picnic area with no one around and he parked right next to my truck and walked right over to me trying to start up a conversation. I just said hello and went on my way giving up my search. The next trip though my wife was with me and we watched him go from one restroom and park go inside for a few minutes and then drive to another restroom and do the samething. I don't know what exactly he was up to, but we reported the suspicious behavior. He may not have been doing anything at all, but there are a lot of kids who play in these parks and I'd hate to find out that he was stalking some innocent victim. Of course I probably looked suspicious too wandering around shining a flashlight on trees like a nut. I think we all have a duty to report activity that we observe that might be illegal. If we are wrong then the person should be able to explain himself to the police if they show up and question them. I'd rather answer a few questions if someone reports me for looking suspicious and explain I'm geocaching than have people look the other way when they see strange activity. That's just my 2 cents.
      Drew/Kangadrew

      I don't want to be famous. I want to be great. --Ray Charles

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic