215Re: Cache approval/disapproval and Geocaching.com's existence

  • Robert <robert@austinexplorer.com>
    Jan 1, 2003
      Oh, I forgot to mention that Austin Explorer also has an auto-confirm
      capability for virtuals. Any cache owner can set up the system to
      get the answer from a finder and email the owner. The email
      indicates the correct answer AND includes the geocaching.com user
      name so that the owner can both confirm the answer AND WHO answered
      the question. Other auto-confirm systems I've seen did not ask for
      the user name, so the owner has no way of knowing that a given
      geocaching.com log corresponds with a correct answer.

      For my virtuals it's fairly easy to match up emails (one from
      AustinExplorer.com and one from geocaching.com) and thus know that a
      geocaching.com log is valid.

      If you have a virtual in the Austin area and want the virtual to be
      auto-confirmed, let me know. I'll set it up.

      Robert

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert <robert@a...>"
      <robert@a...> wrote:
      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "angryarmadillo
      > <angryarmadillo@y...>" <angryarmadillo@y...> wrote:
      > > I think
      > > adding a voting system to a caching website would be a great
      thing.
      > > That way you'd get an idea of whether it's worth your while to
      check
      > > it out. I've already started on my own geocaching website that I
      > might
      > > try to expand into a Texas-wide geocaching site.
      >
      > AustinExplorer.com covers caches within about 60 miles of Austin.
      It
      > includes the ability for cache finders to rate the cache for
      > difficulty and terrain. It's a completely database-driven website
      > that could easily scale up to the state level. It also includes
      the
      > ability to cover both geocaching.com and navicache.com caches.
      >
      > What it is missing is a larger number of users. I can speak from
      > experience that the market maker (i.e. geocaching.com) enjoys an
      > enormous mindshare. People tend to not want to go to another site
      > log finds. An "open source" system would resolve much of that
      issue,
      > but I'm not very confident that will work out.
      >
      > Check out http://www.austinexplorer.com/geocaching/. I'm always
      > interested in ideas for improvements. Right now you can log finds,
      > rate the caches, look at cache stats for the area AND map your
      caches
      > with finds highlighted on maps that can zoom down to sub-city level
      > (something that Buxley's can not do).
      >
      > Robert
      > a.k.a. Austin Explorer
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic