206Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] What's going to happen if they decide to pick up their toys and go home?

  • Mark Gessner
    Dec 31, 2002
      The secret guidelines now include:

      1) I (the approver) personally don't like virtuals.
      2) If you can at all possible place a small container with a logbook,
      do so, because (see #1).
      3) This just isn't unique enough, even though I (the approver) have
      never even seen the place
      4) The rules for virtuals are changing, we (the approving class) are
      approving less of them because (see #1).
      5) I (the approver) am letting this go to my head, I have the power, my
      game: "Neener neener neener."

      From now on all my caches are starting out as 50 cal ammo boxes with a
      logbook inside, hidden in a state park. Immediately after approval,
      some may secretly turn into virtuals and the coordinates may change
      --well... more than a little bit. :-)

      -mark
      aka lowracer

      On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 01:50 AM, The Diver wrote:

      > Mark,
      >
      > What were the reasons for "The Cheerful Dead" being rejected? Based on
      > the so called "guidelines", I don't see why it should be rejected?
      >
      > alan
      > aka The Diver
      >
      > On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 08:11, Mark Gessner wrote:
      >> I've been thinking about geocaching.com lately. I've had a perfectly
      >> legitimate virtual cache (GCB841, "The Cheerful Dead") on hold for a
      >> week while trying to convince the 'approver' that it is legitimate.
      >>
      >> Brings me to the subject point: what happens when the owners of
      >> geocaching.com decide to pick up their toys and go home? Seems like
      >> the whole game is played on their board with their pieces, by their
      >> rules, at their whim.
      >>
      >> I guess I'm wondering if there is some way to make this game 'open
      >> source.' Instead of a central geocaching.com site, have a more
      >> peer-to-peer arrangement with the cache pages spread out over many
      >> unrelated servers with perhaps a search engine or yahoo-like portal
      >> helping to tie them together.
      >>
      >> I would be a sad camper indeed if they ever shut down geocaching.com
      >> (on purpose or by accident). Anyone backing up their cache pages to a
      >> local machine?
      >>
      >> Could we recover if the powers that be got bored of geocaching.com and
      >> shut 'er down?
      >>
      >> -mark
      >> aka lowracer

      >> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/