      Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 2:36 PM
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Re: Cache advice - Cemetery Caches

      Just thought I would toss in my 2 cents on this. I LOVE CEMETERY CACHES! I would often like to spend more time looking around than my caching cohorts (yeah, I know, I'm burning daylight!!). But having said that, I also think a great deal of thought should be put into their placement, and the hider should not make anyone do anything that they wouldn't do at a funeral or memorial (to be blunt!). If the hide is not very obvious (to geocachers), then spoiler hints should be given and it should be noted in the description that they might well be required for a find that does not disrespect the hallowed location.

      The kind of hide you describe is what has probably caused the controvery in several states over geocaches hidden in cemeteries, and the outlawing of cemetery caches in South Carolina. A cemetery is not the place to put a cache that demonstrates the seeker's athletic ability or willingness to make a fool of himself. If you want to do that, there are more than enough parks, greenbelts and open waterways out there for your use. The purpose of a cemetery cache should be to steep the seeker in history, to carry them away to another time, to give him a greater appreciation of his forefathers' path through life.

      Happy Trails!

      --- In CentralTexasGeocach ers@yahoogroups. com, "Sylvie" <hanessacm@.. .> wrote:
      >... situation -
      > A cache, rated as a 2,2 - where the author states we might need to
      > use creativity to get to the cache.
      > I arrive, see the cache -
      > it's 12-15 feet above, in a tree ...

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic