      From: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Sylvie
      Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 11:20 PM
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Cache advice - for experienced geoachers?

      Greetings to my Texas geocaching compadres!

      I was called back to Austin for a week, so thought I'd cache during
      the weekend. Encountered a situation where I need to ask advice:

      Situation -
      A cache, rated as a 2,2 - where the author states we might need to
      use creativity to get to the cache.

      I arrive, see the cache -
      it's 12-15 feet above, in a tree
      Twist tied to the branch - only way to remove it is by reaching it
      and taking off the cap to get to the log
      not a climbing tree
      is in a cemetary very near tombstones and graves

      Question - does the fact I can state where it is, the surroundings,
      the environment, and the cache situation counts as a find, or is
      logging the only proof of find?
      Does the rating of 2,2 seem appropriate for this type of cache?
      Does the fact the location does not readily provide for options (such
      as a forest with loose tree branches, or sticks) bring up the cache
      difficulty?
      Does the location (ie, cemetary) make it that we are expected not to
      perhaps do what we would do in another locatation (such as an open
      field, or forest?)

      Need your advice - I counted it as a cache found, as I could describe
      everything - location, situation, exact layout - but could not reach
      the cache to log... and refused to climb the tree due to its location
      (Perhaps my religious upbringing.. .) - - author and cacher questions
      my count as a find - -
      I questioned the rating, and location...

      What would you have done? count it? not count it? I'm not from here -
      could I be expected to go back with a ladder? Is this an appropriate
      place to be doing this (cemetary)?

      I've only been caching since april, and have 340 finds (well, maybe
      339) so still new to this - -this is the first time I've encountered
      this...
      ADVICE please!
      Aldy from Canada

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic