14896Re: Paperless Maps

  • semperquestio
    Feb 3 7:38 PM
      I just started playing with Earthcomber today. Pretty good stuff,
      especially for free, from what I've seen so far. I have no idea how
      to get the data into the favorite locations, but I have posted a
      note on the GC forums and on the GSAK forums for help on this and if
      I get anything I'll pass it along.

      Howard
      (Semper Questio)

      --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, "dhadad" <lists@...>
      wrote:

      > Found an interesting solution with EarthComber.com. It's
      completely FREE!

      > You can sign up for a free account on their website, download the
      > software onto your PDA-- however, you also have to install an
      updater
      > on your PC. You select the maps by county and download them onto
      your
      > PDA main memory or SD card.
      >
      > Travis county is 2.2MB.
      >
      > You can zoom in/out on the maps, click on street names, pan the
      maps
      > sideways (with your stylus), find locations by entering the address
      > (seems like only businesses), etc, etc.
      >
      > You can also create "Look Lists". I'm still figuring out how to
      > import GPX data into Earthcomber.
      >
      > Dan (inspectorgadget)
      >

      > --- In CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com, Nick Silkey
      > <nsilkey@> wrote:
      > >
      > > A GC.com cache map? Or a map (topo, street, whatever) with
      caches
      > overlaid?
      > >
      > > Since the T650 has BT support, you could look into getting a BT
      GPSr.
      > > I hear TomTomNav5 calling ... :)
      > >
      > > On 2/1/06, dhadad <lists@> wrote:
      > > > Does anyone have a way to put geocaching maps onto their PDA?
      > > >
      > > > I've already gone paperless for the listings. (I finally got a
      premium
      > > > memberships which allows me to get pocket queries in GPX
      format, then
      > > > I convert them using GPS Spinner then iSilo. Huh, you say?
      See more
      > > > here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperless_Geocaching and
      here:
      > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching_Software)
      > > >
      > > > However, I'm trying to figure out how to put a good cache map
      on my
      > > > PDA. I know, I know... I shouldn't really need it since
      ultimately the
      > > > GPS can handle it-- however, as you might know my Magellan GPS
      right
      > > > now looks like crap and often it's not with me at the office
      (what,
      > > > you say?) or it's in my pack-- hence my need for having a map
      on my
      > > > PDA (treo 650).
      > > >
      > > > What I'd like ideally is an offline version of a cache map,
      > > > customized for me where I can pick out a cache off the map and
      get an
      > > > offline version of the log page. OFFLINE.
      > > >
      > > > Part of this whole effort was spawned from my printer crapping
      out.
      > > > They just don't make electronics like they used to...
      > > >
      > > > So far I've been able to convert GPS to KML and load it into
      Google
      > > > Earth on my laptop, which is way cool. And I've looked into
      Kmaps for
      > > > the PDA, but it seems to take up too much room on it and is
      best
      > > > ONLINE-- which is not what I want. I'd like some PDA mapping
      utility
      > > > that can take the GPX data or an equivalent thereof...
      > > >
      > > > Is anyone else wanting this or can relate their own paperless
      > experience??
      > > >
      > > > Dan (inspectorgadget)
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > > >

      > > --