      From: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com [mailto:CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dhadad
      Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:19 AM
      To: CentralTexasGeocachers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Paperless Maps

      Does anyone have a way to put geocaching maps onto their PDA?

      I've already gone paperless for the listings. (I finally got a premium
      memberships which allows me to get pocket queries in GPX format, then
      I convert them using GPS Spinner then iSilo.  Huh, you say? See more
      here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperless_Geocaching and here:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocaching_Software)

      However, I'm trying to figure out how to put a good cache map on my
      PDA. I know, I know... I shouldn't really need it since ultimately the
      GPS can handle it-- however, as you might know my Magellan GPS right
      now looks like crap and often it's not with me at the office (what,
      you say?) or it's in my pack-- hence my need for having a map on my
      PDA (treo 650).

      What I'd like ideally is an offline version of a cache map,
      customized for me where I can pick out a cache off the map and get an
      offline version of the log page.  OFFLINE.

      Part of this whole effort was spawned from my printer crapping out.
      They just don't make electronics like they used to...

      So far I've been able to convert GPS to KML and load it into Google
      Earth on my laptop, which is way cool. And I've looked into Kmaps for
      the PDA, but it seems to take up too much room on it and is best
      ONLINE-- which is not what I want.  I'd like some PDA mapping utility
      that can take the GPX data or an equivalent thereof...

      Is anyone else wanting this or can relate their own paperless experience??

      Dan (inspectorgadget)

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic