14126Re: [CentralTexasGeocachers] Emma Long Park

    Dec 2, 2005
      On the one hand, that's a bummer.
      On the other -- I've found too many off trail caches by following the
      previous cachers' tracks.
      We're not purposely destructive, but, as they say in the old US Park
      Service movies, each off trail venture starts a new trail.
      I see where the parks are coming from.

      On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 19:17:19 -0000 "Brent" <brbapb@...> writes:
      > Yikes! This has the potential to cause some problems for cachers, at
      >
      > least in the posted areas of Emma Long Park. I posted a photo of the
      >
      > signs to watch out for in the photos section.
      > http://tinyurl.com/dp3ft
      >
      > Yes that is correct, no off-trail hiking is allowed and that is a
      > year-round restriction. Bikes and motorcycles are restricted to
      > special use area within the park. The intent is to protect the
      > habitat and natural resources year-round.
      >

      > Thank you for your inquiry.
      >

      > Donald L. Koehler, Ph.D.
      >
      > Austin Water Utility
      >
      > Senior Biologist, BCP Program
      >
      > 3635 RR 620 South (Reicher Ranch)
      >
      > Austin, Texas 78738-6807
      >
      > 512-263-6431 (Office)
      >
      > 512-263-1276 (Fax)

      > -----------
      >

      > Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 8:52 AM
      > To: don.koehler@...
      > Subject: Emma Long Park and BCCP
      >

      > Hello!
      >

      > On your website http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/preserves/access.htm it
      > states that Emma Long park is open to hiking, mountain biking, and
      > motorcycling. However at some points along the trail signs such as
      > those in the included attachment state that it is an endangered
      > species habitat and that you must stay on marked trails. Does that
      > mean that no off-trail hiking is allowed, and if so, is that year-
      > round on only when the Golden Cheeked Warbler is in the area?

      > home page
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/YltolB/TM

      The here and now is all we have; and if we play it right it's all we'll
      need. --Ann Richards
      Americans will put up with anything provided it doesn't block traffic.
      --Dan Rather
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic