Notes on last night's rally organizing committee conference call

  • Jerry Policoff
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2009

      We are coming down the stretch run, but we are in pretty good shape.

      On the call:  Ron Stouffer; Rosie Skomitz; Cindy Purvis; Jack and Kathie Hendricks; Chuck Pennacchio; Kay Lasker; Mary Pat Donegan; Jerry Policoff; Kevin Boylan

      We need to nail down every city that is sending a bus or organizing car pools to the rally so we can list the details and contact info on our web site.  We will also encourage people in need of a ride to e-mail us so we can try to hook them up with someone.  Anyone getting this e-mail who has info about car pools or busses please send me the details, including contacts, so we can get this up on the web site.  I will personally follow up on Gettysburg and Jack and Kathie will follow up on State College.  Philadelphia info is already in house.  I think it is already up on the web site, but if not it soon will be.  I hope to have all the info on the Lancaster bus by this afternoon.

      We need to ask Jim Ferlo and Kathy Manderino to personally ask PCN to cover the rally.  Mary Pat will handle Ferlo.  Chuck or I will ask Manderino’s office.

      In addition to Kevin Zeese and Katie Robbins who are on the program, there are at least two other members of the Baucus 8 coming to the rally: Russell Mokiber and Margaret Flowers.  Hopefully we will let all of them say a few words, but at the very least we will recognize them, and we will have a banner prepared:  “Pennsylvania welcomes the Baucus Eight.”  Kevin Zeese plans to invite the other four members of the Baucus Eight as well.  In case anyone reading this does not know who the Baucus Eight are, they were the eight individuals who stood up one by one at the first public hearing on healthcare reform by Max Baucus’s Finance Committee and demanded a seat at the table for the single-payer advocates.  One by one they were arrested and led out of the room in handcuffs while Baucus, seemingly quite pleased with himself, laughed and joked about it.  The arrests received media coverage the single-payer movement rarely gets, and seems to have ushered in a new era for the single-payer movement which is suddenly being taken much more seriously by politicians and the media.  We do indeed owe the Baucus Eight a huge debt of gratitude.

      We need to form a media committee to guarantee outreach and media coverage.  Cindy Purvis, Jerry Policoff and Chuck Pennacchio agreed to serve.  Two other suggestions were Kathleen Casey of PASNAP and Jim Deegan of the AFL-CIO.  I will contact both today.  I will also invite Jim Deegan to join our organizing committee.

      Every member of the committee needs to get to the co-sponsors they are point persons for and urge them to redouble their efforts to get people to Harrisburg on October 20th.  We need them to use their web sites and e-mail lists toward this effort.  Several of the co-sponsors have still not done much to promote the event and we are only twelve days away.

      Cindy Purvis plans to have all 67 counties in our county project done before the rally, and we will have a giant check ready with the amount our local and state governments and school boards would save on health benefits if HB 1660/SB 400 passed.  The total number should be well over $2 billion per year.

      We need as many people as possible to call into the Thom Hartmann show on Air America tomorrow until one of us gets through.  Hartmann always has Senator Bernie Sanders on his Friday program.  We need to call in and both promote the rally and prevail upon Bernie Sanders to come to Harrisburg if he possibly can.  We are not expecting members of Congress at this point since Congress will be in session, but it can’t hurt to ask.

      There has been much talk about having a march before or after the rally.  We still need to work out the details on this.

      The Progressive Democrats pre-rally state tour will kick off on October 17th in Pittsburgh and will make several stops around the state in the lead-up to the rally.  Details are still being worked out.

      Cindy Purvis and I will work on getting a definitive list of regional organizers put together in the next several days, and we will assign every county in the State to a regional coordinator’s territory.  That way anyone who wants to become active will have a point person we can point them to, and we will also be able to try to recruit more organizers so that the territories are smaller.  We will determine a way to communicate this at the rally and on the web site, but have not yet done so.

      It is starting to look like we will have a significant presence from our neighboring states including contingents from New York, Ohio, Maryland, West Virginia, and hopefully other states as well.

      Conor Boylan of PDA joined us late.  He informed us that it looks like getting the Reverend Jesse Jackson to the rally is looking like a very real possibility.  Hopefully we will nail this down in the next few days.

      We might want to plan on two conference calls next week given the proximity of the rally.  Let me know what you think about that.

      As usual I am copying others on this update so they will have a better idea what is going on.  The rally seems to be taking on a life of its own, and I am very excited about it.

      Jerry Policoff

      1117 Wheatland Avenue/ H-4

      Lancaster, Pa. 17603

      Home phone/fax:  717-295-0237

      Cell: 717-682-4434

      www.progressives4pennsylvania.com

      www.healthcare4ALLPA.org

      Face Book Causes: HealthCare4ALLPA

    • Jerry Policoff
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2009

[...]

        In addition to Kevin Zeese and Katie Robbins who are on the program, there are at least two other members of the Baucus 8 coming to the rally: Russell Mokiber and Margaret Flowers.  Hopefully we will let all of them say a few words, but at the very least we will recognize them, and we will have a banner prepared:  “Pennsylvania welcomes the Baucus Eight.”  Kevin Zeese plans to invite the other four members of the Baucus Eight as well.  In case anyone reading this does not know who the Baucus Eight are, they were the eight individuals who stood up one by one at the first public hearing on healthcare reform by Max Baucus’s Finance Committee and demanded a seat at the table for the single-payer advocates.  One by one they were arrested and led out of the room in handcuffs while Baucus, seemingly quite pleased with himself, laughed and joked about it.  The arrests received media coverage the single-payer movement rarely gets, and seems to have ushered in a new era for the single-payer movement which is suddenly being taken much more seriously by politicians and the media.  We do indeed owe the Bausus Eight a huge debt of gratitude.