Songo River Queen, Thursday 6/9

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2011
      I am ONLY passing on this info. Please contact Nancy if you are interested
      in joining this field trip. ~Lisa

      *From:* "bnk888@..." <bnk888@...>
      *
      *

      Hi all! There is still some room available on the Songo River Queen (Naples,
      ME) for this Thursday, June 9th. This is the 2 1/2 hour trip through the
      Songo Locks. There are two (2) trips: Morning (leaving the dock at 9:45AM,
      returning at 12:15PM, asking that you arrive a half an hour early), and
      Afternoon (leaving the dock at 1:45PM, returning at 4:15PM, asking that you
      arrive a half an hour early). The cost of the trip is $5 per person, and
      will go rain or shine. The boat is being chartered, and the money to cover
      this cost has already been collected, so all the money collected on the day
      of the trip will be going to the Good Shepherd Food Bank. Also, since the
      boat is being chartered we will be selling the snacks (mostly healthy) and
      beverages, with the proceeds going toward a well project for the village of
      Ouo, in Burkina Faso, Africa. This will be on a first come, first serve
      basis. There is a maximum number of people that will be signed up to go.
      This is the last year that the Songo River Queen will be traveling down the
      Songo Locks, as they are welding the bridge closed in September. We also
      have the option of playing miniature golf at Steamboat Landing Miniature
      Golf (about 1/4 mile away on Route 114, see information below) for $5 per
      person, with children under 5 playing free with a paying adult. They will
      be opening just for our group. They will be open from 10:00AM to 5:00PM.
      Here is information about the Songo River Queen taken from their website (
      www.songoriverqueen.net):

      The long ride down the Songo River was the inspiration for one of the poems
      by Longfellow. This waterway remains among the cleanest and prettiest in
      North America, and the meandering trail and twisting charm of the Songo
      River is virtually unchanged from the days when Longfellow, Nathaniel
      Hawthorne, and Ralph Waldo Emerson enjoyed the steamboat rides on the
      waterway that once reached the Atlantic Ocean.In the 1830's,when the
      Cumberland and Oxford Canal was built, the Atlantic Ocean was connected with
      inland Maine through a series of 27 locks. The only lock still operational
      is the Songo Lock, which remains unchanged....still operated by hand as it
      was in the 19th century. The SONGO RIVER QUEEN II takes you to the historic
      locks, which provide a lift of about 5 feet between the two lakes, and
      passes two swing bridges, which pivot sideways on an axis to allow passage
      of boats with superstructures too high to pass underneath. These bridges are
      also among the last remaining of this type, which was once widely used
      throughout the United States.A throwback to the days of the canal system are
      the land-locked salmon that populate the Sebago-Long Lake waterway. Much of
      the Songo Lock trip winds through Sebago State Park, where the surrounding
      land has been maintained in its original state. It is heavily populated with
      deer and other wildlife, which can sometimes be seen from the decks of the
      SONGO RIVER QUEEN II.
      Here is information about Steamboat Landing Miniature golf taken from their
      website (www.steamboatlandingminigolf.com):Our course is challenging, yet
      offers a fun experience for even our youngest visitors. Families will find
      our course a good spot for a "family competition," or simply a leisurely
      stroll around the course as our trees provide relief from summer's heat.

      Our holes include a classic New England covered bridge, historic Fort
      Western, a scenic lighthouse, typical of the many that line Maine’s
      rocky coast, and a Maine Black Bear, sporting his trout catch between his
      teeth! As the course winds through the wooded gardens, you will find
      something to catch your eye at every turn. At Steamboat Landing you’ll
      enjoy the rustic setting with its lush flower gardens and the sound or
      running water as it flows through the Grist Mill at the 10th hole. Let me
      know as soon as possible if you are interested. If you have signed up for a
      trip, and are unable to attend, please let me know as soon as you can.
      Thanks! Nancy Grigg