All Aboard for the Maine State Museum !

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2010
      I knew this would be coming up soon and just saw the information in another
      group tonight. We will be there on Friday - probably 10am - when it opens.

      All Aboard for the Maine State Museum !

      Model Railroad Celebration and Free Admission
      Highlight Museum Activities on December 3 and 4

      Whether taking a first-time peek at model trains chugging along the tracks
      or discovering memories of days gone by, family members of all ages will
      delight at the sights and sounds of the Model Train Celebration at the Maine
      State Museum in Augusta on Friday December 3 and Saturday December 4. The
      museum will be open free of charge both days.

      The trains will be up and running from 9 am to 4 pm on Friday and from 10 am
      to 3 pm on Saturday. The Great Falls Model Railroad Club of Auburn and
      Maine 3-Railers based in Augusta will share their collections and knowledge
      about model trains during the two-day event. Members of each club will set
      up and operate a variety of displays, complete with G, HO, O, and N-gauge
      model trains, along with accessories and seasonal scenery. Members of each
      club will also be on hand both days to answer questions.

      The link between model trains and the holidays has an historic connection.
      The first regularly scheduled passenger train in the United States began on
      Christmas Day, 1830. Toy trains appeared soon after railroads came into
      regular use, and long before electricity was a mainstay in homes, children
      and adults constructed model motorized trains that ran on steam power. The
      life-size 1846 "Lion" steam engine, exhibited at the museum's entrance, is
      the 8th earliest American locomotive, and continues to be a popular
      attraction for museum visitors.

      For more information, please visit: http://www.mainestatemuseum.org/