Maine State Museum Field Trip

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 8, 2009
      I am NOT putting this together. You will need to contact Hope to sign up.
      Her e-mail address is: hmcooley76@...
      *********************************

      I (Hope) am organizing a field trip to the Maine State Museum. The dates
      are tentative, with July 28th being my primary choice. I will let everyone
      interested know when I have a confirmation date.

      When: July 27, 28, 29 (final date TBA) 9a-2p with 40 minute lunch
      Where: Maine State Museum
      Cost: No admission
      I have given them a tentative number of 50 people (including children and
      chaperones) in attendance. I did not request a tour of the State House or
      the Blaine House, but if there is enough interest, I can do so.

      Below are the activities I have requested - only 15 children can attend each
      activity at a time, so I will fill them on a first come, first reserved
      basis. I am not sure yet if all of these will be available or not.

      If you are interested in attending, please email me offlist with the
      following information:
      Parents Name:
      Children attending and ages/grades:
      Which activities are the children interested in?

      Arrowhead Making (2-12)
      An opportunity for participants to make their own arrowhead using antlers
      and stone. They will also take part in a discussion on the arrival of the
      first peoples in Maine.

      Relief Rubbings (K-8)
      Participants will be able to interpret possible meanings of symbols from two
      petroglyph sites in Maine. They will be able to create their own rubbings
      using casts from both sites.

      Life Under a Log: Maine Reptiles and Amphibians (K-8)
      In this program, students will examine characteristics of specific reptiles
      and amphibians found in Maine. They will then be encouraged to compare and
      contrast these characteristics to those of other Maine animals.

      Life in a Tide Pool (K-8)
      This program provides an opportunity for students to examine some of the
      inhabitants of a tidal pool using preserved specimens and the coastal scene
      of the natural environment area.

      Mammals Large and Small (K-8)
      Students will discuss the characteristics that define a mammal. They will
      then discuss how these characteristics are different from and similar to
      other animals.

      Water Power in Maine (3-12)
      The program looks at how water power helped shape Maine's past. It also
      gives students an opportunity to examine how power is transferred, by
      observing a water-powered mill.

      Blessings,
      Hope Cooley

      http://www.littlemoosediapers.com
      http://www.littlemoosediapers.etsy.com
      http://www.littlemoosediapers.1000markets.com
      http://www.littlemoosediapers.blogspot.com/
      http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/yankeehill/

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 7, 2010
        Hello all! I am currently scheduling a field trip the Maine State Museum for
        Wednesday, November 3rd. This is to end our fall Maine studies for co-op but
        this field trip is open TO ALL!

        What I need to know is this....are you coming? Everyone who wants to go,
        please let me know ASAP. I am copying in the tentative schedule that has
        been set up by myself & the museum. This trip will not be finalized on their
        end until I verify it but I thought I should get a rough head count.

        COST - is FREE!
        Time: 1-4pm (you could always leave earlier)
        I have 3 different tours set up - one on wool carding (hands on for grades
        K-3 - all would participate), Farming throughout Maine (grades K-8 - all
        would participate) and a tour of the "Made in Maine" exhibit (industries &
        the like - good for all ages). We would split in to three groups and rotate
        through ALL these exhibits.

        Let me know how many children would be coming with you. I would like to know
        by MONDAY, October 11th, at the latest. THANKS!

      • Vicki Merrill
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 7, 2010
          The Merrills will all be there!

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 7, 2010
            Count us in.

            Lori +4

            On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Vicki Merrill <memoriesmatter@...>wrote:

            > The Merrills will all be there!

          • Sarah Cook
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 7, 2010
              Jacob and I will be coming :)

              To: CBChomeschoolersME@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 7, 2010
                YEAH!!!!!! ;-)

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 7, 2010
                  Everyone who has replied is down. So far we have 19 kids signed up. :-)

                  Remember - if you want to go, please let me know by the 11th. Thanks!

                • Janelle Gelston
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 8, 2010
                    Lisa,The girls & I will be there.Thanks for setting this up!~Janelle

                    To: CBChomeschoolersME@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 9, 2010
                      The Nelsons will be there.  Myself and 3 kids.

                      ________________________________
                      Lisa,The girls & I will be there.Thanks for setting this up!~Janelle

                      To: CBChomeschoolersME@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 11, 2010
                        Jenny plus 1

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 31, 2010
                          This is the VERY last call for the Maine State Museum Field Trip. If you
                          have not already signed up for this trip, PLEASE let me know ASAP! I will be
                          e-mailing the museum that we have 45 children coming on Wednesday. If that
                          number goes up any higher, they may need more staff so I need to let them
                          know now. Thanks!

                          If you know of anyone who wants to come that has NOT told me, please let me
                          know. Thanks!