Field Trips - Kind of

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26 2:05 PM
      Hey all - I will be heading out to a few spots in Maine in the next few
      weeks. I am not scheduling formal groups or "field trips" to either of
      these spots, but this is just a general...we'll be there if you'd like to
      join us type trip. These are all weather-permitting so pray for sun!

      The first up is in less than a week. The Maine Wildlife Park in Gray. I'll
      be arriving around 11am. I'm planning to eat lunch first and then head out
      to check out the animals.

      Admission fees are: children under age 3 are free, ages 4-12 are $5 and
      ages 13-60 are $7. (Groups rates would only save $2 off adult admissions -
      so I'm opting not to do anything formal and they don't do school classes in
      July & August. I may look at booking a class at a later date.)

      If you go to this spot on their website:
      http://www.maine.gov/ifw/education/schools_teachers/field_trips_park.htm#infopacket
      and
      then scroll to the bottom, you can print out some pdf files to go along
      with your trip. I'm planning to have my boys do the "Animal Behavioral
      Research..." chart. There are coloring pages and information about the
      animals that would enhance your trip as well. There is an audio tour if you
      have a cell phone. There is a number to call and codes to enter that will
      give you information on each animal as you come to it. I also plan to have
      my boys each pick an animal to research prior to our trip and then
      "present" their information to us when we get to "their" animal.

      Next up is Fort Knox. Again, because I am opting to go in July, there is no
      discount school rate. They only do that September-June. Normal admission
      fees apply. They still offer group tours and the first one begins at 10am.
      You can read the tour script here:
      http://fortknox.maineguide.com/TourScript.html I'm not sure if I'll join up
      with a tour or just head out and explore on our own and toss information as
      we go.

      Their fee rate can be found here:
      http://fortknox.maineguide.com/Feesandhours.html
      We did the observatory a few years ago. It's pretty amazing so if you've
      never done that, I would recommend it.

      Again, we're planning to get there around 11am - eat lunch - and then head
      out to explore. There are great picnic areas including tables to sit on
      here.

      The date I'm planning to go is Thursday, July 25th.

      Bring a flashlight!!! There are areas of the fort that are not lit but you
      can have fun exploring - as long as you can see! :-)

      And be sure to visit this section of their website:
      http://fortknox.maineguide.com/Education.html
      There is a TON of information about the history of the fort. This is where
      I found the information on the Native American tribes of Maine I sent out
      yesterday.

      I'm only doing a couple trips in July and a couple in August but will
      probably plan some more formal guided trips for September and October as
      well. We are already doing a fair bit of traveling this summer so I'm
      fitting them in as I can.

      Hope to see some of you! :-)

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 26 3:42 PM
        Sorry - I guess I missed the date on the Animal Park....Wednesday, July
        3rd. :-)